Skip to main content

Kräht der Hahn auf dem Mist, ändert sich's Wetter oder 's bleibt wie's ist


Another sun burst! Forgive me, it's been some time since the last one. Here we are, late afternoon, on the Lindisfarne/Geilston Bay border. Think Mason-Dixon without the bloodshed.

Henry has a ripping black eye today, after a tumble involving a chair, table and an obdurate desire to achieve altitude sickness (that is my guess, anyway). This latest accident occurred just one day after an impressive plunge off the couch that involved a pike, half twist and almost perfect headfirst entry onto the carpet. I would have taken half a point off for a slight bend in the knees, but I am of the old Soviet school: unforgiving to a fault.

Comments

Sue said…
Our boys have something in common...a similar talent in gymnastic abilities and contusions, I think. Zac made practically the same maneuver over the handlebars of his racing bike on the way home from school last night. A chain that disengaged, at extreme high speed, instigated the acrobatics. Zac made a wonderful entrance with skin removed from various parts of his body and with a slightly swollen, bruised eye.
But having survived the past twenty odd years of Cody and the emergency ward at Williamstown Hospital being named after him for attending there so often, I am afraid that Zac had to make do with a "Mmmm...poor baby. Hope the bike is OK and I am glad you didn't rip your uniform. Now have a quick shower so I can wash your clothes to get that blood off before it stains!" Too much sympathy only encourages them! hahahaha
Priyanka Khot said…
A really action packed Henry story today. Hope his eye gets better soon.

The proverb as usual makes sense.
Livio Bonino said…
Beautiful sky.
I hope Henry are getting well!
Whatever made you think of the title to this post? I'm seriously awed by your knowledge of Germanic peasant truisms - especially when applied with such nonchalance!
Shelagh said…
Hah! Plenty in common. Not age - I'm 78 - but I had 4 sons, so empathise. Love Oz, mainly South Australia, Adelaide. Always had an ambition (that probably never will be realised) tovisit Tasmania. Thank you for the comment on my Aurora blog, nice to know someone reads it.
Note - I love your B&W post of silos. Great! (I'm an architect so you can understand why.)
Anonymous said…
Oh poor Henry ! Poor you! Thank God it wasn't worse.
angela said…
The sunburst is amazing but I enjoyed your story more...poor Henry. What is about boys and their clumsiness!
PS What does the title mean?
 gmirage said…
Ich weiß nicht...ob das Wetter ändert. =D

Surely, henry is growing up and part of his growing are black eye, wounds, headbumps and all those...otherwise, childhood isnt childhood without them...

Have a nice weekend and best regards!
Kris McCracken said…
The thing I like about all the comments is that we can conclude that ‘kids are kids’ whatever time and place they happen to be kids!

Sue, you don’t want to spoil him with sympathy, he’ll get used to it!

Priyanka Khot, one of the wonders of Henry is the healing process, it was a dark patch under his eye yesterday, but nearly gone today!

Livio, it was a nice evening. It’s started to warm up (finally!)

The Wife, I am a sucker for proverbs, and am a self-confessed fan of the Germanic literary tradition. There is something universal about this particular saying that I am always drawn back to.

Shelagh, great to hear from you. If you can’t visit the state in person, make sure to keep looking here, as well as the Hobart Daily Photo and Launceston Daily Photo sites!

Dina, poor me indeed. I was so disappointed with the bent knees! It can’t have been too traumatic, as he was right back up there about three minutes later.

Mirage2g, quite right!
Kris McCracken said…
Angela, the title is (as The Wife suggests) an old German proverb that literally translates as something like “If the cock crows on the dung heap, the weather will change or it stays the way it is.”

I take it to mean: “The opinions of loud (but ultimately insignificant) people have no real influence on the comings and goings of the world.”

Another way to think of it might be “Don’t rely on proverbs!” My favourite sort of proverb!

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary