Skip to main content

Eine Kuh macht Muh, viele Kühe machen Mühe


I figure that today I got the most authentic Father's Day gift possible. Real life, of course, is not generally the stuff of toilet paper commercials or Hallmark cards; thus it is only appropriate that this Father's day has entailed being kept up for much of the night by an alternating yelling/snoring baby, who eventually wakes up the toddler at half past five in the morning. That means the great weight of lethargy on the shoulders (with concomitant short fuse), still screaming baby, and a grizzling, whiny toddler demanding to be picked up every five seconds.

I did get a book, however, which was nice.

I have a nice Henry photo lined up for later on.

Comments

Anonymous said…
*lol* Maybe it's right with cows but not with children. The first child: everything is difficult, the second: you already know how to handle everything.
Dina said…
Happy Fathers Day, Kris. Wish there were more fathers like you in the world.
Enjoy your new book if and when you get to read it.
Kris McCracken said…
April and Dina, I knew that some people would recognise the quote! I am enjoying two kiddies, despite the challenges they present. It doesn't hurt that they are so cute!
Kitty said…
How on earth do you do it? Aren't you grumpy the next day?

Happy Father's Day (well, belated). I'm sure very soon you'll be flooded with adorable hand-drawn cards every year, and ties.
Kris McCracken said…
Kitty, you just grind through it, I guess the only other choice is to run off, and that'd be no good! It isn't always that bad though, there are plenty of good days to balance it out. Once we sorted Henry’s sleep, it got a whole lot better.

Because of the differences in our personalities (rather than out gender, as some claim), Jen seems far more able to discard/forget the shocking days and emphasise the positives, and I'm a bit more inclined to feel the negatives more heavily.

That said, I can always rationalise my way through it: “they’re babies; they don’t know any better; it isn’t always this bad” etc. I just like to blow off steam with a good: “for crying out loud Henry, SHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!”

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary