Skip to main content

A few honest men are better than numbers


Quoting Oliver Cromwell in the title, I am rock solid in my belief that I already have access to a few honest men in my household! In many ways Ezra is already beginning to demonstrate a Cromwellian temperament, against Henry’s Jacobin flourish. At nearly two now, the elder lad reminds me of Robespierre quite a bit: intelligent, zealous, and obstinate. Although I count both historical figures amongst my heroes (of a sort), as one half of the hegemonic power base at home, I am sure that you realise keeping a close eye on these two is very much in my interest.

But onto other matters! Given that tomorrow we shall surrender dear little Ezra™ to the eight week vaccinations, I felt it an opportune time to assess and compare the two. Although in some ways comparisons are indeed odious (cf. Sir John Fortescue), I have chosen to present both of them for your gratification.

Comments

An unbelievably adult smile! Lovely photo!!
Louis la Vache said…
The Henry and Ezra Official Fan Club appreciates your updates on their heroes!
Maria Verivaki said…
great smile on a young face
Your kids are so cute!!! What a strange and fascinating smile!!
Kitty said…
they look very similar, no? the same smile, I think.
Priyanka Khot said…
Awwe! At the risk of reapeating myself for the umpteenth time - they are both adorable. I need to expand my vocabulary more and come up with better words to oooohhh n aahhh over ur boys.. :-)
Marie Reed said…
I just loooove scrolling through all of these cutie tootie baby and toddler pictures!
Kris McCracken said…
Blognote, Ezra’s smile is shaping up very nicely too...

Louis, official fan clubs at this young age! Whatever next?

Mediterranean Kiwi, it far better when He’s smiling than the opposite...
Kris McCracken said…
Mary, he is a strange and fascinating person!

Kitty, they’re similar in some ways, different in others. Comparing them is getting interesting...

Priyanka, “oooohhhh” and “ahhh” gets the point across. :)

Marie, we have plenty. I’ve got a great Henry one to post this evening.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary