Skip to main content

In the Beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move


Here is Australia's next top supermodel in action, playing on a wooden fort with a pink pram! The pram is an effective rouse to smuggle as many balls as possible to the throw at anyone silly enough to approach the fort. Plus, the chicks kind of dig the kind of sensitive, new age man who is happy to be seen marching back and forth with a pink pram.

Unsatisfied with my previous post, FF has asked what it is precisely that makes me uncomfortable about young people embracing the love of Jesus with the sort of verve and vigour normally associated with a cat on heat.

Well, I'm not sure if there is a precise reason. Perhaps it just all seems unnatural to me. Someone at death's door I can imagine it, you're hedging your bets, I can understand the logic to that. Some profound trauma? Yeah, the world loses it's bearings, religion can give you a foundation that'll get you through, I see that. Some hot young thang with legs up to here and an arse just thinking about that will keep you warm through long, lonely nights, absolutely! That said, I'd imagine this isn't what they have in mind when they're talking about letting the love of Christ in your heart, however.

A relatively well adjusted, sociable, stable youngster with friends, loving family and future prospects upping and joining the happy clappers is just plain odd to me, I can express it no more eloquently than that. In my (admittedly limited) experience, it has a touch of Invasion of the Body Snatchers about it.

The one example that truly stands out is a young woman that I knew when I lived where I used to live before I live where I live now (a wordsmith, you say?). To my knowledge, she was of limited faith when I knew her in Burnie. By that, I mean that if she had faith, it didn't come up in any conversation with me (just how I like it). Two years down the track (away from home, doing the uni thing), I bump into her again in the park. We stop and have a chat, all very pleasant. Halfway through me complaining about Patti Smith wailing on REM's latest record, out of nowhere she starts shaking. Now, I'm not talking "having a fit" as much as "little dog straining on a poo". So I clear my throat and I ask, "ahhh, are you okay?" and with a broad smile and eyes lit up like a Republican senator spying George Michael entering a public toilet, she tells me "oh I am wonderful, I just felt the love of Christ pulsate through my body!"

"RIIIIIGGGHHHHHHTTTTTTT, I say", looking at my watch and glancing out the corner of my eye hoping to see a pair of fellows in white coats with butterfly nets hiding in the bushes. Now, I could be wrong, I accept that. There is a chance that she could have had Christ's pulsating son-of-God man love all over her, in her, around her (one of the many benefits of an omnipresent being), but at the time I have echoes of cuckoo clocks chiming inside my head.

You see, I don't think that Christ has ever really tried to put any pulsating love (oh err missus) in me. If I'm honest, I don't believe it you see. Yeah, I ascribe to a (broadly) Judeo-Christian moral framework [do unto others, let he without sin, all that jazz], but to my over-educated brain we're all just squishy luck walking around the place trying to get along as best we can. I reckon two blokes should be able to get it on wherever they like, bacon is tasty, and that a woman is just as sexy "in her uncleanliness" as any other time of the month.

If you're raised right in the thick of it? Cool, I get it, fair play to 'ya. Diff'rent stokes for diff'rent folks. If you're choosing it at age seventeen? Hmmm, free country, but I can't help but wonder...

Comments

smudgeon said…
I was enjoying this little story until you got to:

"I just felt the love of Christ pulsate through my body"

And then I lost half the mouthful of peanuts I was chewing on, all over my desk. You should have put a warning there, young man.

I can't help but agree with the weirdness assessment.
Kris McCracken said…
They were her exact words. It shall remain with me until my dying days.
USelaine said…
Well, for the love of Christ......
Jules said…
I am with you all the way on this one - it has often amazed me as well. I too laughed too and snorted water up my nose - hmmm maybe that's what the love of God feels like when it pulsates thru your body?????

PS The sulphur smells pretty rotten when it is pumping but at the moment it is mainly ash.
Miles McClagan said…
If I let the love of Christ pulsate through my body, can he help Collingwood win a flag?

If not, not interested...shallow, but, ya know!
freefalling said…
I wonder how they view themselves?
And how they view non-believers?
They seem somehow 'removed'.
I find it troubling.

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut