Skip to main content

In the Beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move


Here is Australia's next top supermodel in action, playing on a wooden fort with a pink pram! The pram is an effective rouse to smuggle as many balls as possible to the throw at anyone silly enough to approach the fort. Plus, the chicks kind of dig the kind of sensitive, new age man who is happy to be seen marching back and forth with a pink pram.

Unsatisfied with my previous post, FF has asked what it is precisely that makes me uncomfortable about young people embracing the love of Jesus with the sort of verve and vigour normally associated with a cat on heat.

Well, I'm not sure if there is a precise reason. Perhaps it just all seems unnatural to me. Someone at death's door I can imagine it, you're hedging your bets, I can understand the logic to that. Some profound trauma? Yeah, the world loses it's bearings, religion can give you a foundation that'll get you through, I see that. Some hot young thang with legs up to here and an arse just thinking about that will keep you warm through long, lonely nights, absolutely! That said, I'd imagine this isn't what they have in mind when they're talking about letting the love of Christ in your heart, however.

A relatively well adjusted, sociable, stable youngster with friends, loving family and future prospects upping and joining the happy clappers is just plain odd to me, I can express it no more eloquently than that. In my (admittedly limited) experience, it has a touch of Invasion of the Body Snatchers about it.

The one example that truly stands out is a young woman that I knew when I lived where I used to live before I live where I live now (a wordsmith, you say?). To my knowledge, she was of limited faith when I knew her in Burnie. By that, I mean that if she had faith, it didn't come up in any conversation with me (just how I like it). Two years down the track (away from home, doing the uni thing), I bump into her again in the park. We stop and have a chat, all very pleasant. Halfway through me complaining about Patti Smith wailing on REM's latest record, out of nowhere she starts shaking. Now, I'm not talking "having a fit" as much as "little dog straining on a poo". So I clear my throat and I ask, "ahhh, are you okay?" and with a broad smile and eyes lit up like a Republican senator spying George Michael entering a public toilet, she tells me "oh I am wonderful, I just felt the love of Christ pulsate through my body!"

"RIIIIIGGGHHHHHHTTTTTTT, I say", looking at my watch and glancing out the corner of my eye hoping to see a pair of fellows in white coats with butterfly nets hiding in the bushes. Now, I could be wrong, I accept that. There is a chance that she could have had Christ's pulsating son-of-God man love all over her, in her, around her (one of the many benefits of an omnipresent being), but at the time I have echoes of cuckoo clocks chiming inside my head.

You see, I don't think that Christ has ever really tried to put any pulsating love (oh err missus) in me. If I'm honest, I don't believe it you see. Yeah, I ascribe to a (broadly) Judeo-Christian moral framework [do unto others, let he without sin, all that jazz], but to my over-educated brain we're all just squishy luck walking around the place trying to get along as best we can. I reckon two blokes should be able to get it on wherever they like, bacon is tasty, and that a woman is just as sexy "in her uncleanliness" as any other time of the month.

If you're raised right in the thick of it? Cool, I get it, fair play to 'ya. Diff'rent stokes for diff'rent folks. If you're choosing it at age seventeen? Hmmm, free country, but I can't help but wonder...

Comments

smudgeon said…
I was enjoying this little story until you got to:

"I just felt the love of Christ pulsate through my body"

And then I lost half the mouthful of peanuts I was chewing on, all over my desk. You should have put a warning there, young man.

I can't help but agree with the weirdness assessment.
Kris McCracken said…
They were her exact words. It shall remain with me until my dying days.
USelaine said…
Well, for the love of Christ......
Jules said…
I am with you all the way on this one - it has often amazed me as well. I too laughed too and snorted water up my nose - hmmm maybe that's what the love of God feels like when it pulsates thru your body?????

PS The sulphur smells pretty rotten when it is pumping but at the moment it is mainly ash.
Miles McClagan said…
If I let the love of Christ pulsate through my body, can he help Collingwood win a flag?

If not, not interested...shallow, but, ya know!
freefalling said…
I wonder how they view themselves?
And how they view non-believers?
They seem somehow 'removed'.
I find it troubling.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary