Skip to main content

Les habiles tyrans ne sont jamais punis


Back to the Derwent River! But this is from yesterday, no work today as it was eight week vaccination time and I wouldn't miss it for quids. Of course, my role mainly involved chasing Henry around for two hours as he weaved through throngs of kids named Braydon, Jayden, Rayden, Kayden and even one called River looking for unearned jelly beans. Gold was struck as Ezra was terribly good, and Henry happily snared his reward. After the trip out, I did ponder to myself, "whatever happened to 'Steve' (or 'Mark', 'Dave' or 'Colin')?

Comments

Mark, Dave, Steve, John will return. That's the great thing about those names, they always come back in style at some point - while the artsy-spelled names fade away.
smudgeon said…
There are only so many different ways to spell "Madison" before the fun wears off...hopefully.
USelaine said…
I love names and their meanings/origins. I have about a dozen books of and about them, but now you have only to search the web to find charts of name frequency through the years. Which brings us to the point that all these names originally meant something, in some language, as nouns or adjectives. But if you call someone Joy or Stone today, you are branded a hippie, are you not? Right. Well, then. In my view, River is good. Made up "sounds" like Rayden, not so much.
Anonymous said…
I can thoroughly recommend Russell Ash "Potty, Fartwell and Knob: Extraordinary but True Names of British People" which I have just finished, and which proves that daft names were never just the preserve of the last 10 years, even though it feels like it from here.

When I was a health visitor in London, I remember visiting a mum with a new baby, doing all the checks and paperwork etc, and then going back to the office (this would have been about 3 1/2 years ago). The following is the true conversation that followed between me and my assistant:

Me: You'll never guess in a million years what they've called their baby.
Assistant: What?
Me: David.
Assistant: *falls off chair in shock*
Kris McCracken said…
Boise Diva, there was a kiddie in the local paper today with an even worse name: Ze-Jai (think “CJ”). Anglo-Australian kiddie, moronic parents.

Me, good old “Maddysinn” is my favourite. Not a patch on the “Jaxxyn” from a couple of years back though...

USelaine, I am a bit of a keen on names and their history too. “Ezra” has proven an interesting talking point with many people though, I honestly thought that it wasn’t that obscure.

Jackie, I have heard of the book, and will have to check it out. Do you have a favourite name from your time as a health visitor?

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary