Skip to main content

Lord almighty, I feel my temperature rising

Occasionally this job throws up a few interesting studies my way, and I thought that I’d share one with you. I’m preparing a document for a hearing on a liquor licensing application, and was trawling the literature looking for information on the correlation between outlet density and community outcomes (negative and positive).

So the case study that I’ve been looking at involves Rodney King, angry youths and a burning sensation that one might feel downstairs after a top night out. I know what you are thinking, “what are you talking about, you stupid, stupid man?”

Well, after the 1992 riots in Los Angeles that emerged from the verdict in the trial of the police officers charged with assaulting Rodney King, it was found that many liquor stores were looted and burned out. In fact, liquor outlets tended to be specifically targeted, and copped over and above the average when it came to rough treatment.

For many local community groups this presented an opportunity to achieve something that they’d wanted to do for some time; reduce the number and density of shops where you could buy and take away alcohol.

In the wake of the riots (and the subsequent community campaign to prevent liquor outlets from opening, 270 alcohol outlets surrendered their licenses. This provided an unusually unambiguous natural experiment for losers like me who are keen on research in the public policy field, with a well-defined ‘intervention’ (before and after), and a substantial reduction in outlets.

Accordingly, using data at the census tract level, Cohen, Ghosh-Dastidar, Scribner, Miu, Scott, Paul Robinson, Farley, Bluthenthal and Brown-Taylor (team effort here) investigated the impact that this reduction in outlets had on rates of gonorrhoea. The study attempted to differentiate between alcohol outlets as a causal factor (through alcohol consumption and risky behaviour) and as a marker of social disorganisation.

The results of this study showed a significant impact, suggesting that outlets play a significant role in the spread of gonorrhoea, even when social disorganisation was controlled for. Now, although confounding effects related to social disorganisation were controlled for, it is of course possible that some unmeasured (or immeasurable) features of the 1992 unrest and subsequent reconstruction were responsible for the stark reduction in rates of gonorrhoea rates. But that said, this study provides some of the strongest evidence that reducing the number of alcohol outlets in a community will reduce the incidence of sexually transmitted disease.

Ain't that a thing?

If you are so inclined, you can take a peek at the abstract here: Cohen et. al. (2006), “Alcohol outlets, gonorrhea, and the Los Angeles civil unrest: a longitudinal analysis”, Social Science and Medicine, 62, 12, June, pp 3062-71.

Comments

Dina said…
Hi Kris, in answer to your question with regards to car park shortages. Well it's not a subject I like to talk about however Malta it's not the shortage of car parks mainly but it's the lazy lot who want to park their car infront of whereever they go. For instance here where I live I have big issues with cars stopping infront of the school gates dropping kids off and leaving, where the road is a no entry between school entrance hour and exists!!!! grrrrrr . Oh well I guess Maltese will never change !!
USelaine said…
Regarding the riots, I had heard that Korean owned businesses were particularly targeted, due to longstanding hostility between ethnic Koreans and blacks in LA. Nothing to do with sexually transmitted diseases, just a factoid to do with why the liquor stores seemed to be singled out. Largely owned by Koreans in South Central, I believe. Or were.
magiceye said…
statistics can be used by all to tailor their needs..
sam said…
hehe, well silly me, I thought STDs were the result of sexual activity, not drinking! Kidding.... it's a bit like our esteemed (heavy sarcasm) ANC president who was had up on rape charges, and when it emerged that the lady in question was HIV positive, he said he knew, but it was ok to have unprotected sex with her because he took a shower afterwards. Or our minster of health who maintains that in order to avoid HIV and to treat it, you do NOT need anti retrovirals, you just need a diet high in garlic and beetroot! It's a crazy world, I can't even imagine how you would go about allowing for all the possible permutations and red herrings in a study of that sort!
Kris McCracken said…
Dina, it sounds like the Maltese are like some Tasmanian's with their parking!

Uselaine, I'd heard that too. When things turn ugly, anyone different often becomes a target. Riots in Fiji, the Solomon Islands and Indonesia all saw Chinese and Indian shopkeepers targeted in the past few years too.

Magiceye, indeed they can. They can also be a very useful tool when used appropriately!

Sam, the interesting thing about this study is how it presented an opportunity to collect comparable data at a level not often seen. Thus, the researchers could compare previously like suburbs and track and account for differences with clarity.

Over and over, the correlation between outlet density and levels of STDs presented itself, even factoring in the myriad of factors.

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut