Skip to main content

Man is the only animal for whom his own existence is a problem which he has to solve and from which he cannot escape


Obviously back to my trend of photographs that suggest the alienation of modern human beings, and the disenchantment that for many accompanies modernity. It has always struck me as vaguely amusing that although life - for Westerners at least - is immeasurably better today than ever before in human history (less people go hungry, gender inequality is relatively narrow, people live longer, possess more, are safer amongst many other indicators), so very many people do nothing but complain all the time.

Comments

Miles McClagan said…
I've done nothing today but complain, but I'm not well...and kids have collided into my ankles all day...

Sure, it's not plunging into a coal miners pit for tuppence, but ya know, I'm a man of my times!
The ones here you complain the most are the ones who have the most. The have nots get on with it. Agreed times are better, but the gap seems ever wider. Great upshot, really tight angle.
I think complaining is easier for most people, and I think for some, it helps them sort things out.
I guess when you aren't struggling to survive, you have more time to complain.

I wonder if that building makes cool echoes. Excellent shot!
Anonymous said…
Complaining helps... for a few minutes. Too much complaining is a burden, too.

But as long as you keep on taking these pics, you can complain all you want :-)
freefalling said…
You're not complaining about complaining, are you?
Kris McCracken said…
Miles, at least the world didn't end...

Babooshka, I did have to crick my neck right back to get it.

Boise Diva, there is such a thing as constructive complaining, provided you move past the whining part of it. Unfortunately, many don't and just sit on the sidelines having a moan!
Kris McCracken said…
Mary, I think that you've hit the nail on the head.

M. Isabel Guerra, I do like the odd moan myself, but I try not to mistake it for constructive dialogue. Unfortunately, many people I meet tend to confuse the two concepts.

FF, of course I am complaining about complaining! I figure that this is okay when half the meetings I attend are consumed by people talking about people talking about people talking about doing stuff. [That wasn't a typo.] No 'stuff' ever seems to get done. Which the same people then complain about. Thus I muse on why they are alive, I guess...
Dina said…
Thank God, I no longer have anything or anyone to kvetch about.
And certainly no complaints about your fantastic photo!
Suzi-k said…
Brilliant photo, and yes, there is WAY too much complaining going on amongst comfortable privileged people. A sort of chronic ennui that pervades the upper eschelons. Hehe, there, ennui is my "crepuscular" !

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary