Skip to main content

The best way to have a good idea is to have a lot of ideas.


A grey old day in Hobart today, but it is anything but grey in my heart! I thought after yesterday’s tale of poor parenting and the outrage that it prompted, I’d best switch on the positive vibe and look on the bright side of life. In order to do that, I felt it appropriate to post some lovely blossoms that I photographed right next to the bus stop this morning

Congratulations are in order for Paul Krugman, on his receipt of the Nobel Prize for Economics. Krugman will be a familiar name to many – even those not interested in the dismal science, but I will forever remember him for helping convince me of the positives that can emerge from the on the liberalisation of trade, and more generally to the multiplicity of impacts related to the globalisation of capital. His work on Mexico and the Philippines in the mid-1990s, in particular, helped me broaden my outlook considerably and helped lead to the reconstruction of a lad who at that point was a wholly unreconstructed social democrat, and for that, I owe a debt to the man.

More recently, Krugman has been surprisingly vocal on political issues, and (for mine) has one of the keenest minds on the interaction between the market, politics and public policy. A neo-Keynesian (of a fashion), he tipped both ENRON and the housing bubble well in advance. He’s also known for routinely having a read hot go at some of the poor choices of the present Bush administration. That said, I generally find him someone who tries to stress the positives. For that, he should also be congratulated.

He is also – unusual for an economist – eminently readable. If I were to recommend one work, I really couldn’t look past Peddling Prosperity: Economic Sense and Nonsense in an Age of Diminished Expectation, one of the best-written books on economics ever. I shall give any interested parties a link to his blog for you to explore at your leisure (and so I can cease prattling on about something as dreary as economics.

Don't worry people, I plan to post a photo of Henry and Ezra to cleanse you all later this evening.

Comments

frances said…
Kris cant wait to see the pictures of my beautiful grandsons. Tell young Henry to watch for the postman tomorrow.
Neva said…
too bad Bush didn't have his number! He could've used the advice! lovely blossoms....can't wait to see the pictures of the boys....
magiceye said…
thank you so much for the krugman link
USelaine said…
I can say nothing of Krugman's economics, but your endorsement encourages me.

The flowers, as you may know, are a variety of ceanothus, native to my landscape. It will be lovely to watch your springtime and summer, as we sink into darkness up here.
stromsjo said…
How many readable scientists does one come across really?
Kris McCracken said…
Thanks all. And Per, they are few and far between. In terms of Political Scientists, the name Benjamin Barber comes to mind, and is well worth a look.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary