Skip to main content

When you win the toss – bat. If you are in doubt, think about it, then bat. If you have very big doubts, consult a colleague – then bat.


It's springtime in Tasmania and that means football season is over (with Henry triumphant in our tipping competition, beating me out by a solitary point) and the air is filled with the sound of leather on willow, and the gentle sounds of one team attempting to mentally disintegrate the babyfaced opening batsman debuting for the opposition.

Ahhh, the glorious contrasts of cricket! At once full of a confident history of gentleman and sportsmanship, yet a very same history full of hatred, violence, greed and corruption!

Ahhh cricket, this is why we love you so.

Getting into the spirit of the game, Henry spent a bit of time after playgroup chipping in his thoughts. He chastised the fat bloke at silly mid on because he was fat and his creams were whites and congratulated the deep backward square for his innovative incorporation of Alicia Keys lyrics into his sledging routine.

It's the beauty of cricket you see, often it's what happens when nothing is happening that really entertains. Think of lunch times in the schoolyard, the politics of the workplace or the anarchical society that can be found in international relations; each has nothing of the depth and mettle that cricket demands (at least in its pure form, the long stuff).

Comments

USelaine said…
There's nothing useful I can possibly say when confronted with cricket.
smudgeon said…
I miss Steve Waugh...
Anonymous said…
I just really do not understand this game...

I do like the photograph of the green and whites.
Anonymous said…
I thought football was soccer? More confusion. I prefer tether ball.
Anonymous said…
I love the light :-)
Kris McCracken said…
Uselaine, sometimes I feel the same way.

Me, so do I.

Abe, that is all there is to know!

Pasadenaadjacent.com, it depends where you are. For me football is football, which means that football is australian rules football. Soccer is soccer. In Ghana, football is football, which means that football is soccer. I'm not sure what australian rules football is in Ghana, but I don't think that it is either soccer or football. Simple!

M. Isabel, so do I!

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary