Skip to main content

Baby I'm hot just like an oven, I need some lovin'. And baby, I can't hold it much longer, it's getting stronger and stronger...


Some time ago I posted the shocking story of the natural world in all of its brutality. It should not take a Mensa-level EQ to recognise both the severity of the initial act and the trauma that inevitably, tragically echoes throughout the lives of all parties.

Shockingly, there were people on this very blog who felt the incident a simple lark, a joke, and maybe even that one party was asking for it.

Unfortunately this seems the way of modern life. The moral certainties provided by institutionalised religion, the rigid hierarchies inherent under a notion of the divine right of kings and feudal serfdom, the 'traditional' family and stark gender roles have all withered away leaving a hodge-podge of post-modern, post-materialist 'values' where anything goes but everybody reserves the right to be offended and offend in equal quantities.

Thankfully, the Hobart City Council are a more enlightened bunch, and they've erected these statues to recognise the horror the original Antarctic offence, and the horrors of inter-species sexual assault more generally. The shame in the seal's eyes when it realises the shame that the penguin feels. That's beauty. That's about real understanding, not simplistic explanations or condemnations.

Comments

They probably aren't going to ask you to be a tour guide for the city, are they? :)
KL said…
Kris,
Seems like you know about Hobart policies. So, it would be great if you can one day write in your blog about about mathematics teaching and mathematics/science education and all such related policies in Hobart or Australia. Danke.
Kris McCracken said…
Diva, I don't know, I can spin a yarn, add a bit of colour and what-not.

The statues are all about the exploration of Antarctica and so on, but I like to think that we can interpret statues however we like. This was me yesterday!
Kris McCracken said…
KL, it has been a long time out of school for me, and I'll be honest and admit that Maths was not really my strong suite, so given that Henry and Ez are some ways short of school my knowledge is scant.

That said, the Tasmanian Curriculum is online , and may well hold some answers there.

I know that there was a lot of talk about the shortage of Maths and Science teachers a few years back, but they have churned a few out in the interim.

My main problem with the subjects at school was that the teachers didn't seem to put any effort into engaging students in the subjects (this was especially true in Maths). That said, I never had a 'specialist' Maths teacher in high school. Rather, they were:

Grade 7: an English teacher with less of a clue than 40 percent of the class. Gee she was dumb.

Grade 8: a Horticulture teacher with only the basic understanding of the subject. He was even dumber than the Grade 7 teacher.

Grade 9: a Business Studies/Social Science teacher who was too scared of the students to teach, and on stress leave for a fair whack of the time which meant a rolling period of substitute teachers who felt that just being in the room constituted teaching.

Grade 10: a Computing teacher who was actually pretty good really. I wish that I had him earlier.

I am really selling Parklands High School well there, aren't I?

I did a simple maths class at college in Grade 11 (when it was optional), but it was far too easy and I can’t say that I learned anything new.

I was always lazy with maths. I could do the basics easily and that seemed enough to coast once you were not streamed in the advanced classes.
yournotalone said…
I can just add that I can not apply the term brutality to any life form other than Human.
Kris McCracken said…
Aigars, I don't know about that, it's been shown that chimpanzees will kill and torture to make a point and for pleasure. Dolphins have also been observed to utilise rape as a mechanism in the same manner as human social groups.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary