Skip to main content

Alone, alone, all, all alone, Alone on a wide wide sea! And never a saint took pity on my soul in agony.


Here we have a ferry coming into Sullivan's Cove from the Eastern Shore.

Henry and I are currently discussing plans to launch into our own adventure on the high seas, but haven't quite decided on how big a boat we should start off with. After seeing Jaws, we are erring on bigger.

Comments

KL said…
Buy a cruise or a warship :-D

Hmm...it still looks pretty green out there though it is supposed to be begging of winter soon!
Cuppa Jo said…
I've never seen 'Jaws'. On purpose. I like going into the ocean and my imagination is wild enough without Spielberg enhancing it.
Keropokman said…
Maybe a submarine if you love to hide under the water. hehe..
Priyanka Khot said…
Whoa! that is quite huge. I cannot suggest a boat but i definitely want you all to come to come to India on your first voyage!

P.S: I have made an attempt to write a drabble. Please let me know what you think. It is on this link:

http://priyankas-point.blogspot.com/
Roddy said…
How about the little boat your daddy works on? 100,000 ton big enough? And we have 3 cranes capable of landing any size fish up to 5 tonne.
Stefan Jansson said…
Don't worry about Jaws and start with a rowing boat!
Kris McCracken said…
KL, our native trees here are not deciduous, so stay green through winter.
Kris McCracken said…
Cuppa Jo, if you check your brain in at the door (the science is amusingly bad), it is not a bad flick.
Kris McCracken said…
Keropok Man, the one time I went on a submarine I saw a Green Sea Turtle and my wife got sick.
Kris McCracken said…
Priyanka, I did enjoy the drabble. You need to do what Jen did and aggressively pursue that man!
Kris McCracken said…
Roddy, too big. It would know the bridge over (again).
Kris McCracken said…
Steffe, rowing is too hard!
Keropokman said…
how come your wife got sick?
claustrophobic?
Kris McCracken said…
Keropok Man, a combination of that and the fact that she was fourteen or so weeks pregnant!
Priyanka Khot said…
lolz. Kris!

that was diction... hahhaha

i am glad that most people think that my fiction work is REAL... i think that makes me a good writer :)
Roddy said…
Why would I want to sail under the bridge, unless it was to pick you up at your front door. I was thinking more of going off to do a bit of deep sea trawling.
Perhaps you would want another of my ex jobs. Southern Surveyor. She at least was an ex North Sea trawler. You should have seen her. S
he docks at the C.S.I.R.O. wharf.
Anyway the call is yours.
Kris McCracken said…
Priyanka, I bet that it was rooted in an event...
Kris McCracken said…
Roddy, too small!
Roddy said…
Don't tell me you get seasick! Me, I just get sick of the sea. My god, that joke is wearing thin. Sorry.
Kris McCracken said…
Roddy, I have only ever been seasick once, on the infamous Challenger B!
Roddy said…
You bring back fond memories of the Challenger B. The beginning of the end of an era, and the awakening of a new dawn. How time flies, that was about 19 years ago. Thank you my son.
Kris McCracken said…
Roddy, that will be 22 dollars please...

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary