Skip to main content

I realise today that nothing in the world is more distasteful to a man than to take the path that leads to himself.



Here is the view walking up Murray Street into the sun late in the afternoon. I like the colours in this one, as it feels like autumn even though it is winter AUTUMN [flu + baby + toddler = brain atrophy].

I'm all about list-making at the moment, so I thought that I'd riff on a familiar theme and present to you part one in a new series...

Pros and Cons of Toddlers

Pro #1: They're CUTE. I know that some dirt magnets have heads on them like half-eaten meat pies, but I think that we all know that MY children are handsome young fellows. This immediately gains you cred points in the general community.

Con #1: They're LOUD. As a lover of peace and quite, this has been hard to deal with. Whatever it is that they seem to be doing, they appear compelled to do it at full volume. This can encompass everything from having a bath to picking up toys to reading a book. The one exception seems to be "pouring water on clean clothes". In this sense, when you can't hear Henry, he's up to no good.

Comments

Sue said…
Hate to mention it, Kris...but it actually IS Autumn...Winter will not be upon us until the 1st June.
Having fugly children is where you REALLY prove what a good parent you are...it is easy to like good looking kids but you really have to work at it with a fugly one!
I always knew when it was quiet in my home that someone was doing something they shouldn't. That still applies!
Roddy said…
Don't you just love ém. And yes winter still starts the first of June.
Kris McCracken said…
Sue, please forgive me. I was dying.

It would be difficult to have a fugly. I'm not sure that Henry would have survived the first year if he had a rotten head...
Kris McCracken said…
Roddy, it FEELS like winter.
yamini said…
Beautiful Snapshot!!!!!
Kris McCracken said…
Yamini, thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut