Skip to main content

In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has been widely regarded as a "bad move".


On Sunday, we all went for a gambol down on Howrah Beach. Henry, in his infinite wisdom, felt the need to stop every two metres to take the pulse of every dried up starfish.

It was quite tragic really, there appears to be have been a pandemic amongst the Howrah starfish community. Henry whipped out his magnifying glass and came to a grave conclusion: le mal d'étoiles de la grippe du Havre!

Comments

Dina said…
That is sad, but it makes a really grand photo. Can't blame the boy for being concerned.
In my volunteer days I was once awarded the starfish pin. Do you know the story behind it?
Maria Verivaki said…
as usual, the title of the post is not associated with the photo
and this particular photo is a mighty impressive one!
Ah, this post reminded me of the Starfish story as well. I think I posted about my thoughts on the story back in April.

Lovely photo.
Kris McCracken said…
Dina, does the starfish pin recognise “making a difference” of some sort. Starfish are known for their work in struggling communities!
Kris McCracken said…
Mediterranean Kiwi, I think that the relationship between the title and the post depends on the angle one is looking from.
Kris McCracken said…
Findingmywingsinlife, all those dead starfish. It was quite moving.
yamini said…
The photo is beautiful and Henry sounds very concerned at the fate of star-fishes.

Well in India, we have a famous bridge by the name "Howrah" over the river Hooghly in Kolkata, capital of the West Bengal state (you must have heard of the city).

It is the city where Mother Teresa started her charity work through "Missionaries of Charity" and to which Aussie cricketer Steve Waugh is a regular visitor for his charity works.

The Howrah bridge was built between 1937 and 1943, during the British rule in India.

Nice to see the similarity of names. The world, really, is round....
Dina said…
LOL Your comment cracks me up!
Kris McCracken said…
Yamini, the world is smaller than we think!
Kris McCracken said…
Dina, don't disparage the starfish. They work hard. ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary