Skip to main content

Ivan Ilych's life had been most simple and most ordinary and therefore most terrible.


I thought that I'd share another self portrait with you, this time down near the Supreme Court down here on the Salamanca/Battery Point/Hobart pivot.

In the spirit of sharing, I thought that I'd supplement this self-portrait with a brief pen portrait of ten things about me that seem to exist around these here Internets:
  1. I have never lost a sock.
  2. I hate easily.
  3. I love to think about water.
  4. I honestly believe that my two lads are the best going around.
  5. I would like to eat clouds.
  6. I think that women, and not dogs, are a man's best friend.
  7. I want for little.
  8. The colour blue is my favourite.
  9. It's my birthday on Thursday.
  10. I try each day to be a little bit better.

Comments

Ronda Laveen said…
I love your personal 10 list. Are you sure you never lost a sock? Is that even possible? From one that does much laundry, those little devils are quite prone to walk off?

Great picture.
Kris McCracken said…
Ronda, my wife has lost socks, but I have a process that ensure it is impossible.
smudgeon said…
Not even lost a sock to the washing machine?

Weird. Genuinely weird.
Kris McCracken said…
Me, but if they go in, they must come out. If the process does not allow an unmatched sock to enter, no unmatched sock can leave. The gulf between "on the line" and "in the wash" is where most lost socks go.

The process must not allow socks to enter that gulf.
Hallam said…
The mini dress set off nicely by the elephant man leg.
Kris McCracken said…
Hallam, I often wear my mini skirt to work. And you know how popular neurofibromatosis is with the kids these days!
yamini said…
Hillarious!!!!!
The top ten list starts at an unbelievable not, as rightly pointed out by others here.
How can u not lose a sock for your entire life? I mean, socks, handkerchiefs, etc, are items, which one buys in bulk, only because we know we are gonna lose them sooner or later.
What is your secret?
Babzy.B said…
your list sounds like your poetry ;)
Miles McClagan said…
If you have never lost socks but found at least 1ne, the universe is out of wack...
Very interesting list. Happy Birthday!!!!

I've lost lots of socks.

OH, and the picture is nice too! Really nice.
Roddy said…
Nice self portrait, however it does make you look like some shadowy character.
Your favourite father is back at work, but this time, in touch with the world.
I will be watching you closely so you had best behave.
No more missing my favourite family.
Hello Jen, Henry and Ezra. And of course yourself.
Priyanka Khot said…
Hey!

what is the big deal about not losing a sock? I agree that if the process is in place that never happens..

1. I too have never lost a sock.
2. I too hate easily.
3. I too love to think about water.
4. I honestly believe that your two lads are the best going around.
5. I a not too sure about eating clouds though.
6. I think dogs are any day better than most men.
7. I want for a lot
8. The colour blue is my favourite as well.
9. My birthday is in June
10. I try each day to be a little bit better.

I like your obsession with making lists... I am on the verge of joining the club. :-)
Jackie said…
I like your #10. I fall very short of that, it has to be said.

I hope the boys have a party planned for their dad for Thursday. Just remember not to do anything I wouldn't.
Candie said…
Great stuff!
I could eat clouds too!
Will think of you on thursday!
lemon said…
Well, I wish you have a very happy birthday, and your life to be going on for ever just like now, loving, healthy and content with small (but really so huge) pleasures.
I send my love, to all 4 of you!
tony said…
Great Photos & Text this week (as usual).Have A Great Week.
Sue said…
I NEVER lose socks in the washing either. Two go in...two come out...simple. Two one the line...two back in the drawer...simple.
But then...we have Cody! Who loses his socks all over the place. Hence, we have a myriad of lone socks.
Now, don't get me started on his undies!???!
KL said…
Absolutely lovely self-portrait :-D. The cow-eyes, athletic legs, and as the saying goes - tall, dark and handsome- everything is perfectly visible...uh lala....(Man! Jen is going to kill me. Please ask her not to).

Not lost any socks!? No Big Deal. I have never lost any socks and I have also never lost any of my hubby's socks...so there go....:-P
Kris McCracken said…
Yamini, Jen has lost a few of mine, but I don’t know how. Sue nailed it down below: two go in, two go out! There’s nowhere for them to go.
Kris McCracken said…
Babzy, I will choose to interpret that as a compliment.
Kris McCracken said…
Miles, I have found a few loose ones of other peoples.
Kris McCracken said…
Roddy, running up a huge bill no doubt.
Kris McCracken said…
Priyanka, lists are always good fun.
Kris McCracken said…
Jackie, I try, and am certainly not always successful! As for b’day, the best we’ll do is maybe go out for pancakes. I am taking the day off work, however!
Kris McCracken said…
Candie, clouds look so tasty.
Kris McCracken said…
Lemon, they are big for little people.
Kris McCracken said…
Tony, it’s all luck!
Kris McCracken said…
Sue, process process process!
Kris McCracken said…
KL, she has been known to get very jealous, only she takes it out on me!
frances said…
Krispy how tall are you.
Kris McCracken said…
Frances, I am 193 centimetres tall. I have been told that this equates to somewhere around 6' 3" or 6' 4".

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary