Skip to main content

There is but one thing without honour; smitten with eternal barrenness, inability to do or to be: Insincerity, Unbelief.


A morning stroll. Brisk winter's air. A bit of sun. Plenty of birds. What could be finer? This one was taken just the other day over the road from our place. They are a mix of sea birds here: Silver, Pacific and Kelp Gulls, for the most part.

I've noted a couple of memes doing the rounds of late, and bereft of any better ideas, thought that I'd tackle the harder one first: things I love.

Away we go!

1. Most Loved Food: Difficult opener. Right now, I am thinking "Icy Pole".

2. Most Loved Person: A three way tie. You can guess who they are.

3. Most Loved Job: I can't say that I could ever apply the term "love" to any employment I have ever held. I'm struggling to think of a "least loathed". Tutoring online University courses was okay, if a little frustrating at times. At least it could be done from home. That said, they can attract some loons, and manners are a rare commoditiy...

4. Most Loved City: I did like Nürnberg very much. Prague, Burnie and Melbourne are all in the running too.

5. Most Loved Band: I'll say Wilco, but the list is long.

6. Most Loved Website: This one.

7. Most Loved TV Program: Seinfeld. But I also miss Deadwood very, very much.

8. Most Loved Movie: It depends on my mood. I like Flying High for laughs; Three Colours: Red if I'm moody; Secrets and Lies if I'm pre-menstrual; The Thin Red Line if I'm wistful; or Das Boot if I'm itching for action.

9. Most Loved Artist: One of Paul Klee, J.M.W. Turner or Mr Monet himself.

10. Most Loved Book: That isn't fair. It's like choosing between Henry and Ezra. Catch-22. No, The Tin Drum. NO! The Unbearable Lightness of Being. No, Lolita! No, Rabbit, Run. No, Darkness at Noon. No, A Farewell to Arms. Oh, I don't know. It's a long shortlist.

11. Most Loved Shop: I like supermakets.

12. Most Loved Organization: The Lithuanian Studies Society.

13. Most Loved Historical Event: The whole tale of Finland in the twentieth Century is a fascinating one.

14. Most Loved Sport: Australian Rules Football [as long as there is no flooding]. Or Test Cricket [as long as their is no Brett Lee].

15. Most Loved Piece of Tech: The Personal Computer.

16. Most Loved Annual Event: World Sauntering Day.

17. Most Loved Daily Task: Tickling Jen.

18. Most Loved Comedian: I am partial to Louis C.K. of late.

Coming up: part one of a fourteen thousand part series: Things I Hate.

Comments

Roddy said…
Can an icy pole be food?
You are trapped in a sub at the bottom of the sea. Where is the action?
Roddy said…
Best loved city! Whichever one has your family in it. Easy.
Sue said…
This pic is like the other one of the sky from the other day...they make me think of heaven!
I love lists too...but struggle to fill them. I can never whittle it down to one or two things! And I will always be thinking of something more that could have been added for days. But I still love them because they remind me of the things I love..or hate most! I also love reading what others have chosen for their lists because I learn so much about a person from their own views and tastes about things. It's nice to agree or disagree or be reminded about something you may have for gotten.
Hi! Kris,
The photograph is "beautiful"...almost
"breath-taking!" Lovely, simply Lovely!
As for your list of Things you love...Icy Pole...Huh!
2.No Brainer!
3.LOL!!
6.LOL!
8.Great selection and LOL!!!
9.Great Choices
10. See No# 9
17.LOL!!

kris,Thanks, for sharing!
DeeDee ;-D
Babzy.B said…
The clouds and birds are stunning, i love the shot and your new list too , number 6 and 17 makes me smile ;)
Roddy said…
You have the BIRDS but where is Hitchcock for the remaking of the movie of the same name?
Jackie said…
That's a really moody shot, I really like it!

I'm a bit alarmed by your online tutoring observations. I've just applied to do some (until both my husband and I can get proper jobs), partly based on how much I enjoyed being a distance learning student and enjoyed the people I met up with from the course. So I guess I have a bit of a rosy-tinted specs view of it all, not helped by some of the eedjits I've had to teach in real life over the last few years.
Priyanka Khot said…
Fourteen thousand part list... I am waiting for the first part!
Baino said…
Ah I did the hate one first so must now make amends and share the love! You like supermarkets? Clearly you don't spend enough time in them!

Kris have you heard from Miles?
Kris McCracken said…
Roddy, of course!
Kris McCracken said…
Sue, I tend to break the rules of lists, for that very reason.
Kris McCracken said…
DeeDee, Henry and I got lucky with this photo, he spotted the opportunity and I took it.
Kris McCracken said…
Babzy, the birds sensed a feed on!
Kris McCracken said…
Roddy, they were friendly.
Kris McCracken said…
Jackie, one of the course was a terrorism, and that always attracts kooks, so I wouldn't read too much into it!
Kris McCracken said…
Priyanka, I passed the 1,200 mark for the blog yesterday, so we're getting there!
Kris McCracken said…
Baino, I'm betting the absence of Miles involves a woman...
Tash said…
No, no, no! Not Das Boot - it would be good if you felt like getting tortured for 2 hours. I couldn't stand watching it for so long just to have them wiped out in the end. Definitely doesn't fit the American psyche, and suprisingly, not even a Slavic-American one. (We saw this German movie when we lived in CH - the woman kills her husband, dumps him in the well, she kills her lover, dumps him in the well, and as the movie ends, she is planning to kill the enamored police investigator. She didn't get caught! A movie like that is not possible.)
Kris McCracken said…
Tash, it is a great film, albeit not for everyone!

The best example of that difference is the two versions of The Vanishing, the ending to the US version (by the same director) was completely and utterly the opposite. Apparently they don't like it when the bad guy gets away with it.

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral