Skip to main content

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds...


The clock tower at Hobart's General Post Office bathed in nice winter afternoon sunlight. We've had too little of this lately, as it's mainly been raining.

Time for the Sunday Top Five! Today I am revisiting my Top Five Ever Karaoke Performances
  1. Total Eclipse of the Heart: for the amateur vocalist, the sheer overwrought emotion of Bonnie Tyler's raspy voiced paean to wandering lovers the world over is a good song for the confident (or inebriated) to belt out.

  2. Come on Eileen: a rousing, jaunty little number that harks back to the music hall. The chanting bit in the middle can rescue strugglers. The fact that there are not many words also helps.

  3. Sexual Healing: easily the most challenging of the bunch, as not many are blessed with the pipes of Marvyn Gaye. That said, the degree of difficulty makes it a triumph if pulled off, especially if the intent is to send a [ahem] message to any ladies in the audience.

  4. Suspicious Minds: you can't have Karaoke with an Elvis track. The distinctive voice makes it easy to imitate, and I'd advise sticking to the later, crooning hits as the early belters can be tricky work. Generally the songs about failing love affairs are good grist for the mill, as emotion can carry those less fortunate in the vocal departments (see: Heart, Total Eclipse of the).

  5. Islands in the Stream: If you lack confidence, don't do it alone! However, group efforts are usually embarrassing unless you've got a duet to work with. I prefer the Kenny role myself, as I can't quite reach Dolly's high notes...

Comments

yamini said…
I have a soft corner for clock towers and I like them, from all over the world. They have a majestic air about them. The one in the photograph also looks like that.
Nice one Kris.
Valerie said…
Excellent picture. I like those of buildings and clocks. I reckon I was an architect in a former life. Islands in the stream was a favourite even though I don't look a bit like Dolly.
G. B. Miller said…
I think that power ballads are about the only thing I can tolerate while listening karaoke.

Winter time already?

That's making me a little sad already. Here we're just finishing up the summer.
Kris McCracken said…
Yamini, one does love a good clock tower. Except for the one in Ulverstone, that's plain ugly.
Kris McCracken said…
Valerie, it is a ripper.
Kris McCracken said…
G, listening to Karaoke is not nearly as interesting as singing it.
yamini said…
Haven't seen that, so can't say anything. But will check it out on net.
Baino said…
And every screaming hen's favourite . . Living on a Prayer. Nice photo too.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary