Skip to main content

A learned blockhead is a greater blockhead than an ignorant one.


I've featured a lot of pictures looking north on Elizabeth Street, but from memory this is one of the few taken looking south. This was taken on Thursday, at around 4:30 pm, as I am grumpy waiting for the 4:20 express.

Sunday Top Five!

A wisp of melancholy and an intense feeling of being old accompanied my oversight of a "best singles on the past decade" list online yesterday evening. More precisely, I either failed to recognise, or flippantly dismissed most of the entries.

You see, my formative musical years happened some time prior to the year 2000. Thus, today's list. In chronological order, I present to you My Five Favourite Record Albums of the 1990s!
U2: Achtung Baby

R.E.M.: Automatic for the People

Pulp: Different Class

Radiohead: OK Computer

Wilco: Summerteeth


Just missing the cut were a long list, culled to a very short list that included: Manic Street Preachers' The Holy Bible; Portishead's Dummy; Guided by Voices' Alien Lanes; Pavement's Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain; Radiohead's The Bends; and Spiritualized's Ladies and Gentlemen, We Are Floating in Space.

No place for the Macarena, unfortunately.

What else have I missed? Who have I dissed?

Feel free to voice your dissatisfaction.

Comments

Frank said…
You may feel Father Time's weighty hand on your shoulder now but wait until you realize the latest list of Golden Oldies is too recent to include your favorites.
Sue said…
I am in awe that you can condense a whole decade of music into just a list of five! I am hopeless at that sort of thing...trying to choose only a handful! That's why I end up not doing lists.
Kris McCracken said…
Frank, it is a cruel truth.
Kris McCracken said…
Sue, I could have easily done a top 200, but that would take too long...
I would have to say I'm in agreement with R.E.M.'s Automatic for the People. I wore out the cassette tape I had of that album.
Kris McCracken said…
Findingmywingsinlife, a terribly good album that. However, it is interesting how I still hate The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight today almost as much as I did in 1992...
Vince said…
I really enjoyed some of that neo-rock grunge stuff that came out in the 90s like Pearl Jam's ten and Vitalogy, Nirvana's Nevermind and my favourite of that genre from the period: Superunknown by Soundgarden, with one of my favourite songs of all time Black Hole Sun (in D tuning an' all ....)

I may have put Powderfinger's Internationalist, Crowded House's Together Alone, and Rage Against The Machine's self-titled album in, as well.

Midnight Oil's Blue Sky Mining is one of my real favourites, too...

the list would go on...of course

I would have to put "Pink Floyd" (even w/o Waters) Pulse live set in my top five. Such an awesome sound.
Kris McCracken said…
No room for Simply Red, Vince?

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary