Skip to main content

You know everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.


You may not think it, but the history of barbed wire is one of the most interesting that I have ever read about. Lucien B. Smith of Kent, Ohio got a US patent in the in 1867, and was the first wire technology capable of restraining cattle. This made intensive animal husbandry practical on a much larger scale.

Barbed wire also emerged to have another quite useful feature: that of fortification in a military sense. Thus, the emergence of barbed wire was an integral part of explaining the kind of trench warfare in the First World War. Of course, this is not simply the straightforward notion that barbed wire "gets in the way" - which it does - but wire was not placed either solely used to impede or stop the passage of soldiers. The most common strategic use was to channel them into narrow passages in which small arms, particularly machine guns, and indirect fire could be used with greater effect as they attempted to pass. Thus you can generate the sort of result that saw the British Army lose 57,470 casualties inside four hours. Ain't barbed wire grand?

THIS barbed wire rather ineffectively sits atop my building at work. I am not sure what it is intended to deter, but I suspect it is not cattle.

Comments

Roddy said…
Wouldbe terrorists, my son. Perhaps spelt tourists. But perhaps it is intended to keep you in.
Sarah said…
I just remember the war when I see them. When I was a little girl and during the war of Iran-Iraq, saw it in the TV as something that is uses in the WAR :\
Kris McCracken said…
Sarah, and it is a nasty business, war.
Kris McCracken said…
Shadows of Me, I hoped so!
Roddy said…
The terrorists or the tourists? And how do you know that they are parentless?
Roddy said…
You are sounding like a sheep again!
Roddy said…
And like me: black sheep.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary