Skip to main content

We can only learn to love by loving.


I won't give away the answer, but my clue is that today's photo is of a ship berthed down here in Hobart ALL winter. It doesn't have the nerve to tackle a REAL Antarctic experience and sail about with right and proper icebergs. Word on the street is that they are set to leave on a vital and top secret mission designed tohttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif end the scourge of global warming!

Yes, they'll be measuring penguin farts.

Time for the Sunday Top Five!

Today I am tackling my Top Five Australian Birds!
5: Galah;

4: Emu;

3: Kookaburra;

2: FairyLittle Penguin;

1: The Splendid Wren!

Comments

Roddy said…
Do you think that the Aurora stays at home to avoid marauding whales? Nothing more dangerous than a protective mother.
You managed to leave out your favourite bird. The Corella. Do you remember Stanley?
Anonymous said…
lol. Measuring penguin farts. Can't think of a better occupation.

I love kookaburra!

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree,
Counting all the monkeys he can see, Stop, Kookaburra, Stop Kookaburra,
That's not a monkey - that's me!
Lisa said…
first comment on your blog. new follower. love your photos. love the stories and words with the photos. I think inside my teacher body/brain is a photographer secretly coming to life and ready to see the world with a new eye. thanks for sharing. Lisa B.
Kris McCracken said…
Roddy, I hate Corellas.
Kris McCracken said…
Yoork, Kookaburras are quite gamey.
Kris McCracken said…
Lisa, good to see you here!
Carola said…
And Kris I like Boobys. The awesome seabirds.
Kris McCracken said…
Carola, what a coincidence, I like boobies too!

;)

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary