Skip to main content

With regard to excellence, it is not enough to know, but we must try to have and use it.


1: They are not brown, rather a distinctive black and white

2: They don't spin.

3: They do slobber and sound like the Devil himself.

4: They stink when stressed.

5: They prefer eating dead stuff that they've found rather than the hard yakka of finding it themselves.

6: The first Tasmanian settlers ate Tasmanian Devil, which they described as tasting like veal. Given their protected status, I doubt anyone is out there gobbling them up now.

This particular Tassie Devil was Henry and Ezra's favourite of the mob of them at ZooDoo last Friday.

Comments

Roddy said…
You are quite right, they are black and white, unlike Polly who is brown and looks just like the devil itself. Totally different temperament though.
Ellie said…
lol just like a really overgrown rat... and a little narky about it!
smudgeon said…
They go from being cute to weird lookin' so quickly. But thoroughly amazing creatures nonetheless.

I once read somewhere that the idea for Taz' spinning motion came when the creators visited the zoo in Washington DC & spotted the resident devils doing lap after lap of their enclosure - probably because the enclosure was so small & in the wild they're used to covering huge distances looking for smelly dead meat/snacks.
Sue said…
I love Tassie Devils! Nearly as much as MY favourite...the meerkat!
Kris McCracken said…
Roddy, she is a fur seal with legs.
Kris McCracken said…
Ellie, don't let it hear you say that.
Kris McCracken said…
Me, I still think that they're cute...
Kris McCracken said…
Sue, that stupid show with the annoying voice-overs have ruined meercats for me.

They're animals people, we don't need to anthropomorphise them!
Anonymous said…
Oh, isn't he (or she) the sweetest looking thing?
Kris McCracken said…
Yoork, I'm pretty sure that this one is the she. It was the smaller of the two.
Roddy said…
Ok, she may look like a fur seal, but she is still your sister. And I still say she looks like a devil.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary