Skip to main content

Misfortune shows those who are not really friends.


No sign of Charlie Brown anywhere near this poor, lonely kite trapped in the power lines down by the Cenotaph here in Hobart. It strikes me as a most apt image for this weeks Theme Thursday.

You see, I have been informed that this week's Theme Thursday has been cancelled! Yes, cancelled!

Apparently there is some odd little holiday called Thanksgiving. I can see why the fellows in the funny hats would want to say thank you for a delicious meal of turkey and yams! As to the question of whether the inhabitants of the New World - be it the Americas or Australasia - would want to thank Europeans for the changes they wrought, I am less certain.

In the absence of a theme, I am like the kite pictured above: dangling and without purpose...

Comments

Roddy said…
You have a purpose my son. That is to ensure that your family are well catered for.
It may not be a Thursday theme.
Look at Jennifer, Henry and Ezra and there is your purpose!
Good luck!
Sue said…
In the spirit of Thanksgiving... thank YOU, Kris...for your wonderful blog. I look forward to coming here each day (or at least as much as I can). It gives me a chuckle or it makes me pause and think... and I love the photos of you and Jen and the boys!
Thank you!
Tash said…
Hee-hee. Great image and lots of imagination related to NON-theme. Now I gotta go bake then eat the turkey.
Kris McCracken said…
I am keeping quiet the fact that I somehow manage to [cough] lose [cough] my camera yesterday.

Fingers crossed some bugger hands it in...
Sue said…
Fingers AND toes crossed!
Kris McCracken said…
Sue, the police haven't seen it, and no calls from all of the places I left my card at, so I'm not holding my breath.

So ist das Leben.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary