Skip to main content

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.


Ezra spied these little fellows paddling around the pond at the Botanical Gardens here in Hobart. They're ducks, by the way, not tigers.

Today's poem?
The Duck, by Ogden Nash

Behold the duck.
It does not cluck.
A cluck it lacks.
It quacks.
It is specially fond
Of a puddle or pond.
When it dines or sups,
It bottoms ups.

Comments

Sue said…
Aaawwww!!! So cute! (I could've sworn they were tigers!!)
Sue said…
We have two ducks. One blue. One black.
And when our blue duck goes QUACK , "quack, quack,"
Our black duck quickly quack quacks back.
The quacks Blue quacks, makes her quite a quacker;
But Black is a quicker quacker backer.
Vicki said…
Oh, they are so, so gorgeous. Beautiful shot.
Babzy.B said…
wow the shot is awesome !
Roddy said…
Obviously they don't have their floatation tanks operative yet.
Jackie said…
I love this shot - so cute!

I once heard a guy on the radio say that the surest way to get a girl falling for you is to suggest you both go and feed the ducks. Apparently it works every time (it would work with me every time too, except it's always me that suggests it which somehow spoils the moment). So I'd keep an eye on who Henry and Ezra invite to the pond.
Kris McCracken said…
Sue, and they tasted lovely too!
Kris McCracken said…
Vicki, and they weren't scared of Ez.
Kris McCracken said…
Babzy, the wonders of a zoom.
Kris McCracken said…
Roddy, yes they do.
Kris McCracken said…
Jackie, really? I thought that in Glasgow courting had to involve large quantities of alcohol.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary