Skip to main content

It is a miserable state of mind to have few things to desire, and many things to fear.


To my mind, crayfish/lobsters rank amongst the most overrated of foods. It's not rubbish by any means, but it doesn't really rock my boat. That said, people must like it if they're prepared to pay through the nose. You don't have to look too far to find a cray boat here in Hobart at any time of the year.
Who does she think she is...., by Shel Silverstein

I asked the Zebra:

Are you black with white stripes?
Or white with black stripes?

And the zebra asked me:

Are you good with bad habits?
Or are you bad with good habits?
Are you noisy with quiet times?
Or are you quiet with noisy times?
Are you happy with some sad days?
Or are you sad with some happy days?
Are you neat with some sloppy ways?
Or are you sloppy with some neat ways?

And on and on and on and on
And on and on he went.

I’ll never ask a zebra

About stripes

Again

Comments

SH -ic said…
:-))
(.+.) 2010
Roddy said…
The greatest fear is to have nothing to desire.
If in a perfect world.......what!
Sue said…
I love the poem. It goes with my feeling that everything is really just the way you choose to look at it!!?? And your feelings are really thoughts and you can choose to change your thoughts...therefore you can change your feelings!!??
Louis la Vache said…
«Louis» agrees that those shellfish are overrated!
(but he hastens to add "better them than boeuf!)
Hi! Kris,
All I can is...Wow!
I have never seen soooo many cray fish boats!

Very thought provoking
"poem" by Shel Silverstein.
Thanks, for sharing!
DeeDee ;-D
Babzy.B said…
i like very much the dialogue with the zebra !!(and the photo too )
Kris McCracken said…
One Planet, and to you too!
Kris McCracken said…
Sue, it is one of my favourites. I like his kids books too.
Kris McCracken said…
Louis, what about veal?
Kris McCracken said…
DeeDee, that's just a few of them. There are plenty more around the docks.
Kris McCracken said…
Babzy, I enjoyed it too.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary