Skip to main content

Hatred is active, and envy passive dislike; there is but one step from envy to hate.


Two seagulls in the sun at Opossum Bay. March 2010.

Theme Thursday. Hmmmm.

My tendency to pick the image and title prior to learning the topic often makes it hard.

Here we go:

Here you can see picks number 19 (foreground) and 23 (background) in the twenty-seventh annual Tasmanian seagull DRAFT. 19 is a lithe, cheeky, receiver- sort who's good on the outside of packs with a healthy turn of pace. 23 is a more old fashioned, in-and-under type who doesn't mind getting his knees dirty and has excellent core strength. He lacks somewhat in pace, but makes up for it in heart.

I've got a lot riding on these two.

Comments

Brian Miller said…
ha. you always make it fun though. your title make me think, the pics make me envy and then its just a short step to what you write...lol.
Kris McCracken said…
Brian, I have been struggling with time of late!
Julie said…
On the assumption that we know a little about Aussie Rules ... or, indeed, even give a damn, Scarlet!

On Draughts, the board-game. So long as your boys don't rope you into a game called 'Barricade'. My son used to love that. He played Road-runner to my Bugs. He would loiter just before safety at the other end of the board, and pop my tors off to begin-agin. Very boyish ...
Kris McCracken said…
Julie, I wonder what everybody else makes of it!

I like the sound of this Barricade...
Julie said…
And ... and ... another thing.

I have long been given to ponder on the differences between envy and jealousy.

I decided some time ago, that jealousy was seeing what the next bloke had and wishing he didn't have it. Whereas, envy was seeing what the next shelia had and wishing you had it, too.

To my mind, that would make the progression envy, jealousy, hatred. A course that isn't predetermined, of course ...
Kris McCracken said…
Julie, that course makes sense to me. I think that occasionally I am envious of others, but never really jealous.
C.M. Jackson said…
I like your style...you had me at the 27th annual tasmanian seagull draft! Great post!
Julie said…
Scanned down your list of books ... Stan Barstow featured ... googled him ... shall go to Berkelouw's on Oxford St this arvo and get him second-hand.

Love this quote: "There may be a lot of second and third-rate writers in the world, but there are a hell of a sight more second and third-rate readers.'
Kris McCracken said…
C.M., I am glad to hear it!
Kris McCracken said…
Julie, I've been on a Barstow trip of late. I read A Kind of Loving, and felt the need to complete the trilogy.

I'm enjoying the stories, but will admit that stylistically Stan can get a bit pedestrian at times.
Jaime said…
ha! my money's on the big guy in the foreground. hope they pull through for you
Kris McCracken said…
Jaime, the Premiership clock is ticking!
sizzling title,
you succeeded in this theme,
amazing photo,
cool thoughts!
mine is here:

http://www.jingleyanqiu.wordpress.com
welcome!

Happy Thursday!
you Cool!
Kris McCracken said…
Jingle, I like it!
Katherine said…
I love your seagull photo Kris, you're quite the photographer. My Mum used to always use the expression, "You're having an attack of the green eyed monster"... well she said it that many times that it must have sunk in! I believe hate & envy (jealousy) are an active waste of energy & time!
My Mum encouraged us children to look at what we did have. Reminding us of our fortune in love & life. I thank her dearly for instilling this in me!
Kris McCracken said…
Katherine, hear, hear!
PattiKen said…
I'm loving "the twenty-seventh Tasmanian Seagull Draft." Ever so much more entertaining than the annual NFL draft, and the players are cuter too. Great post.

P.S. Thanks for stopping by my entry!
Kris McCracken said…
PattiKen, I've been in the office today, so I can!
Roddy said…
I was rereading your heading. I would hate myself if I were to envy anyone. I believe that my world is almost perfect. The unknown is what I don't yet have.
järnebrand said…
How funny. Love the pic. How brave of you, picking a title and a photo before even knowing the theme... ;) I did my first TT today. I think next week will be better, actually. :) /Jo.
Yes, this works perfectly!
DaDa would love it! -J
moondustwriter said…
Love it- what a fun fit to the theme "Draft"

smiles
Moondustwriter
Alan Burnett said…
I like your thoughts on picking the image first and then getting it to fit the theme. I have been having similar thoughts myself of late having just taken delivery of 14,000 completely random images. I hope my way of doing things "T'other way 'round" is as successful as yours.
Dreamhaven said…
Wonderful twist on draft. Happy TT
Baino said…
Haha . . noice. For someone struggling with time, you're pretty frequent in your posting! Yeh I am guilty of envy and coveting and occasionally gluttony but nup, no longer the jealous type.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary