Skip to main content

Inquiry is fatal to certainty.


Photographing the lights while waiting for the lights. Elizabeth Street, Hobart 2010.

Yes it is Theme Thursday again, hello to all Theme Thursday’ers who may be passing through these parts today, or tomorrow (if you are on the backwards part of the world and your today is our yesterday).

It is not too much of a stretch today, as one of the many sources of tension to be found in this blogging lark – and I am at 2080 posts and counting – is the balance between keeping it LIGHT and getting heavy. It is a tricky one, because a lot of excellent things are exclude by getting too heavy on matters; and a LIGHT touch cannot possibly do justice to.

That said, keeping it heavy requires a bit of effort, and can be a bit of a bummer to infrequent visitors, or diverse audience. Indeed, there is a lot to be said for keeping things LIGHT. Like working clean and not BLUE, LIGHTness of touch broadens one’s appeal!

Comments

Tom said…
what light o'er yonder window breaks...
anthonynorth said…
A decision many a blogger faces. most see the light.
Roddy said…
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
However on a lighter note.
Do you think that the light banter found on this blog does anyone any good? Me thinks perchance.
Brian Miller said…
eh, tastes great, less filling...
Dreamhaven said…
Well done. Happy TT
Gabriela Abalo said…
Great picture.

nice take on the theme
Betsy Brock said…
Heavy or light..we love you, Kris!
RA said…
Magnificent! :)
Tracy said…
That's a beautiful exposure in your photo.
Me said…
The photo is stunning, and absolutely perfect for today's theme.

-C
Kris McCracken said…
Thanks all, I've been busy!

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary