Skip to main content

How many men of England died To prove they were not dead


Authorised by whom? East Derwent Highway, Geilston Bay. October 2010

Like the velociraptors in Jurassic Park, my children's brains are evolving. And like that movie, it is dangerous and terrifying.

Take - for instance - the discussion that I had with Henry the other evening. After reports from the Oberaufseherin about rude and unruly behaviour for the second straight day, I assumed my fatherly voice (i.e. drop a couple of octaves and talk slowly) and queried the lad.

After confirming that yes, Henry had stretched the bonds of maternal love that day, I expressed my bitter disappointment in the lad, as he had "promised to be a good boy" that morning.

"Oh no," interjected the (not very-) guilty party, "you're wrong daddy!"

A rueful shake of the head on my part, and a tired, "In what way am I wrong Henry?"

"I only promised to try and be a good boy."

What could I do? He was correct. I didn't expect such semantics at age four.

Have a poem.

For a War Memorial, by G. K. Chesterton

(SUGGESTED INSCRIPTION PROBABLY NOT SUGGESTED BY THE COMMITTEE)

The hucksters haggle in the mart
The cars and carts go by;
Senates and schools go droning on;
For dead things cannot die.

A storm stooped on the place of tombs
With bolts to blast and rive;
But these be names of many men
The lightning found alive.

If usurers rule and rights decay
And visions view once more
Great Carthage like a golden shell
Gape hollow on the shore,

Still to the last of crumbling time
Upon this stone be read
How many men of England died
To prove they were not dead.

Comments

smudgeon said…
I guess it really is your fault, as you failed to outline some clear and achievable KPIs for the poor boy.

Actually, it is kind of terrifying that he's pulling that kind of thing already...
kylie said…
he has the makings for a spectacular career in law!
Roddy said…
Who exactly implants these thoughts into the brain of a four year old? If not us, then it really is scary.
Kris McCracken said…
Me, he is shocking really. He'll turn out Prime Minister or something.

Kylie, it is a disgrace.

Roddy, he's evil.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary