Skip to main content

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye.


Even dead trees have been reduced to begging. This one is doing well. Tahune Air Walk, September 2010.

The little gold coins are two dollars, the slightly larger one’s one dollar. In the main, I can spot fifty and twenty cent pieces. There must be a few hundred dollars there, at least! I’d happily tolerate a few nicks and bruises if it meant that I was a few hundred off each day. Obviously, if you do spot me in the street and do wish to throw money at me, notes might be a better bet.

Fifties or hundreds are especially welcome, but I shan’t turn my nose up at fives, tens or (heaven forbid) twenties.

I’m very good like that.

Comments

Roddy said…
Do we place the coins or throw them? In which case did you see how many actually missed sticking to the trunk and lay on the ground all around the base of the tree?
A wishing tree, a novel take on the wishing well.
Carola said…
This is the titel I mentioned in my comment about the Little Prince. O.k. I know you know. But this sounds much better then my simple translation.
Kris McCracken said…
Roddy, you toss them. You only get your wish if it stays up there, allegedly.

Carola, the one that I read was an excellent translation.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary