Skip to main content

We all admire the wisdom of people who come to us for advice.


A quick meeting is usually a good meeting. St Johns Park, New Town, April 2011.

A trip away does not stop the run of books. Mixed fortunes in my selections this week.

The first, Double Indemnity is considered a genre – crime – classic by James M. Cain. The film is probably better known than the book, but both are excellent. A brief but complex novel captures beautifully the tale of ordinary-guy-gone-wrong-at-the-hands-of-a-woman.

It’s a gripping read, and (if you’re lucky enough to have the luxury), the kind of novel that you could pick up and finish in one sitting. Highly recommended.

Decidedly not recommended is James Buchan’s Heart's Journey in Winter. Another genre novel (spies, Cold War and whatnot), it’s a dull read, poorly told. I can’t summon up the effort to say any more about it…

Comments

Hi! Kris...
Thanks, for the recommendations...
Oh! yes, Cain's "Double Indemnity" a classic book and a film that fit neatly into the "film noir" style.

I wonder if author James Buchan, is related to author John Buchan, he Of "The 39 Steps" fame?
Nice photograph and amusing quote too!
Thanks, for sharing!
DeeDee ;-D
Kris McCracken said…
DeeDee, if he is related, sadly he did not inherit the literary genes!
smudgeon said…
That door looks like it would lead to the kind of meeting room you would be taken to in Soviet Russia if you had an uncle who defected...
Kris McCracken said…
Except that in Soviet Russia, they would allow you one last smoke before stepping through that door!

Have you read Darkness at Noon? Absolutely the best novel of ever read that explores the minutiae of the Stalinist purges of the late-30s from the perspective of the traitor/victim. This door would not be out of place…
Roddy said…
Looks like a football clubroom.
You will just have to attend the more upmarket meetings.
Sue said…
I would hope they'd have cake!
Roddy said…
Yeah Kris and Sue, cake is mandatory.
Kris McCracken said…
Roddy, it is a Playgroup building!

Sue, cake is out of the question in times of fiscal austerity.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary