Skip to main content

I'm all in favour of free expression provided it's kept rigidly under control.


Just how many tigers are too many tigers? Melbourne Zoo, April 2011.

I expect that three or four tigers probably constitutes too many tigers. Once you get beyond a couple, they start to bicker and argue, and the food they require to keep that healthy sheen and lustre to their coat becomes quite expensive. In fact, I’m just about ready to rule out those eight tigers I’ve been bidding for on E-Bay….

Sunday Top Five. Already?

I’ve got it! Today’s top five is Five Words That I Commit To Using In Everyday Conversation In The Course Of The Next Week (And That You Should Too)!



  • Anencephalous: “You see, the fundamental problem with that guy is that he is anencephalous. That’s the long and the short of it.


  • Bloviate: “Her tendency to bloviate in times of crisis makes her completely unsuitable for leadership.


  • Gobemouche: “His capacity to immediately identify and bring round every gobemouche in the room makes him a man worth knowing.”


  • Ornery: “Yeah, I know him. He’s a particularly ornery fellow. I shared an office with him for a while.”


  • Embrocation: “It’s okay. I’ve prepared an embrocation that I get her to rub in every morning before I leave, and every evening after I bathe. It’s good.




Now, I am more than happy to promise to slip these beauties in, but I offer the same challenge to all and sundry to see if you can check them off before this time next week. Get cracking and don’t eschew the dare!

Comments

Hi! Kris...
It looks like it's four [beautiful] tigers in the photographs...I really don't like to see wild animals caged...Because I feel that they need to be free to roam.[In search Of, food, etc, etc, etc,...] Born to be free...Of the five words that you, plan to use in everyday conversation...I must admit that I'm only familiar with the word "ornery."

The quote sounds Orwellian...Thanks, for sharing!
DeeDee ;-D
EG CameraGirl said…
Tigers are a lot like people, it seems to me. :)

Hmmm. If I use those five words next week I fear quite a few people will look at me strangly and wonder what the heck I'm talking about. But hey! That might be a hoot!
Roddy said…
I agree with the quote. As long as it is my control.
What brainless, pompously speaking, fly swallowing, bad tempered, lotion rubbing people do you know?
As for the Tigers. They will determine how many are are the ideal number.
Fortunately they are are in a zoo and can be introduced slowly to each other.
Wonderful photo of the tigers clearly ignoring the photographer and just intent on being! There seems to be some message there! And those words have the sound effects of talking with a mouthful! Fantastic!
Carola said…
The only word I could find in my translation programm was embrocation.
What "Who is Afraid..." says about zoos is my opinion too.
Cool new design, and a marvelous header photo.
Kris McCracken said…
DeeDee, that's true in an ideal world, but it it were not for zoos, there'd be a lot less animals about (see the Siberian Tiger).

EG Wow, try it.

Roddy, all of them.

GT, we made it out alive!
Kris McCracken said…
Carola, something odd going on with the header and comment link though...

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary