Skip to main content

Patriotism, when it wants to make itself felt in the domain of learning, is a dirty fellow who should be thrown out of doors.


It's a waiting game: Jen and Henry, Tullamarine Airport, Melbourne. April 2011.

There really is a limited amount of opportunities to take photographs in an airport, especially when you are on toddler-guarding duties. Henry can be entrusted with the trusty Sony PSP (and cross your fingers that the battery holds out), but Ez is like that 1980s pop combo Wa Wa Nee; he needs stimulation.


It's a waiting game: pilot fiddling, Tullamarine Airport, Melbourne. April 2011.

We tried to arrange for a little jaunt up in a 737, but there were just too many forms to fill out (and people to bribe), so we stuck to a knock off Dorcas the Explorer [no relation] merry go round instead.


It's a waiting game: planes await, Tullamarine Airport, Melbourne. April 2011.

Oh we can laugh about it now, but at the time it was terrible...

Comments

Roddy said…
The fun part of being alone at the airport is that you only have yourself to entertain you. There is only so much coffee you can drink, and I don't drink alcohol. I also don't take pictures of planes.
I like the silhouette.
Hi! Kris...
I agree looking-back at some incident[s] always are funnier than when the incident[s] were occurring.
Thanks, for sharing the photographs and quote too!
deedee ;-D
Kris McCracken said…
Roddy, it's boring.

Sixmats, they came up well.

DeeDee, it was horrible.
Roddy said…
Yeah, tell me about it.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary