Skip to main content

I have discovered that all human evil comes from this, man's being unable to sit still in a room.


On the way to work. Kirksway Place, as seen from Sandy Bay Road. December 2011.

The Internet is a wonderful place filled with the rich and varied treasures of the world holds (and photos of awkward families looking awkward). The following are some things that I've had a look at in the last week. I call this: a Compendium of Click-throughs for Monday Morning...

  • The world is an amazing place. Need Proof? Awkward Family Pet Photos.

  • Here is something that I bet you didn't know: Infants prefer a nasty moose if it punishes an unhelpful elephant.

  • Follow the toads! New research may well help establish how animals predict earthquakes...

  • A good example of public policy gone bad over in Hungary.

  • A late nomination for headline of the year (and further proof that ornithologists love to 'do it' in the bushes): Great Tits give insight into personality.

  • On more serious matters, Tyler Cowen offers a really good exploration of the European debt crisis. Well worth five minutes of your time.

  • Someone is about to drop a nuclear bomb on you. Would You Pass the Panic-Proof Test?

  • There is nothing wrong with knowing that you don't know. Actually, it's exactly the right thing to know.

  • My favourite Twitter at the moment: Soviets Invade Finland, in Real Time.

  • Automaton racism? The 1930s hysteria about machines taking jobs and killing people.

  • One of the great under-reported atrocities of the WWII is re-assessed: the Siege of Leningrad.

  • Vote 1 Blender! The weird and wonderful party logos of Egyptian politics.
  • Comments

    Kris McCracken said…
    All of those internets...

    Popular posts from this blog

    Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

    Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

    Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

    Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

    Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

    No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary