Skip to main content

The only thing worse than being bored is being boring



I thought that it has been too long without a shot of the river. Moreover, it's been too ong without a shot of my friend the Aurora Australis. And what's more, it's got my other old friend Windeward Bound parked right behind it! There is something quite imposing about that shade of orange as you round the corner and see it waiting there, even more when you have the smaller brig slotted in behind.

I shall not dwell on young and eager Christians this evening, for they have taken up far too much of my time of late. I've already talked sharks, and have been looking into an aquarium, I feat that we may have to take out a few walls to get it up and running. Maybe we'll have to invest in a large cage down in Geilston Bay. I'll speak to the ducks, we might be able to arrange some sort of time share agreement. I'll keep you posted.

I am already thinking about a name, however, and decided to consult the crowd. I like Clive for a boy, and Beryl for a girl. What do you guys reckon?

Comments

Sue said…
I think...Stan for a male and mmmm...maybe Marylou for a female???
Anonymous said…
Nah ... not Clive ... but Beryl is good ... how about Herbert ... Herbert and Beryl ... but only cold water types, mind ... none of this tepid stuff ..
Louis la Vache said…
So, Kris - did P&O paint the ship the color of the lifeboat or were all those orange lifeboats world-round painted the color of the P&O ship? The world awaits an answer...
And what do the ducks think about the name selection? Reading your posts earlier about ducks inspired my post at boisedailyphoto.com today.
Anonymous said…
It's ok to be boring so long as you don't know you're boring. For the girl, I go with Rosie. Or Pearl. I'd like Clark if it's a boy.
USelaine said…
Mark and Perdita.
Tash said…
Snap & Crunch - unisex names!

That is a really stunning photo. Thank you for showing it to us.
EG CameraGirl said…
I really think you ought to consult the boys on this one, Kris. After all, the shark will be their pets!
Suzi-k said…
that pic is wonderful, both for the arresting beauty as well as the contrast between the vessels.
Suzi-k said…
ooooh I know a lady with teeth like that... i don't know her name, but she works at the local butchery... I suppose it would hurt mrs sharks feelings if you called her "butcher lady"??!!
Maria Verivaki said…
i can see the good weatehr coming to you in tasmania - almost time for a dip (whether it's a pool or the sea...
Kris McCracken said…
Sue, Stan is a goer.

Julie, it’s all cold down here! Next stop, Antarctica.

Louis, the orange has something to do with the ice, I guess. The hull of L’Astrolabe is orange too. Maybe they ran out of grey?
Kris McCracken said…
Boise Diva, the ducks are running with “Quack”, but they always say that!

Altadenahiker, that’s the worst sort of boring at all! Pearl is good though...

USelaine, Mark I like. I am all for giving animals ‘normal’ names. The croc I would call ‘Colin’ or ‘Brian’.
Kris McCracken said…
Tash, I am apprehensive a unisex names, fraught with danger!

EGTG, Henry reckons that it should be “MORE!”, Ezra is backing “Waaaaggghhhnnnnnnnnnn!”

Suzi-k, it was set up for me. The best kind of photo!

I think that a shark will be flattered by such a name!

MEDITERRANEAN KIWI, too cold for my blood this time of year. I’ll stick to the (indoor) acquatic centre for now!
USelaine said…
Mark, as in "might leave one". 6^)
tr3nta said…
Great photograph!...

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary