Skip to main content

(My) Photo of the day, Or ¡Madre de Dios! ¡Es el Pollo Diablo!



I had the camera in hand and went for a bit of a stroll this fine morn before work. The main reason was the incredible light, a touch of mist and a nice, smooth river. In fact, I was so impressed by the scene that I garnered a few shots to showcase the attractiveness of Hobart on a calm winter’s morning.

The first is the typical ‘picture postcard’ image on Elizabeth Street Pier. I am about ninety percent certain that this vessel is the striking brigantine Windeward Bound. Much to the delight of Henry, the brigantine was a favourite of Mediterranean pirates, its name deriving from the Italian word "brigantino" which meant ‘brigand's ship’.

As an aside, I found the brigantine a wonderfully versatile craft in the tremendous computer game Sid Meier's Pirates! Quick and agile, it was a magnificent ship to use until you were lucky enough to score a ‘brig of war’ or (eventually) the almost unbeatable ‘Ship of the Line’. So, if you are currently a pirate, or you’re looking to become a pirate and have a budget to think about, do yourself a favour and don’t overlook the brigantine!

Comments

jen said…
the devil chicken? is my spanish that rusty?
Kris McCracken said…
It's a very 'inside' popular culture reference my dear. Monkey Island, you played it on the PS2 before Henry came along.
Louis la Vache said…
Very fine photo of the ship - and the sky! This photo would be an excellent candidate for the Friday Sky Watch series!
Maria Verivaki said…
lovely weather you're having - i mean it, summer's come too early for us, and it's stunning us into believing we should be sunbathing form morning till sunset
Anonymous said…
pollo diablo? where?

lovely light...
Anonymous said…
Nice photograph of the harbor and the old ship. It brings back lots of memories.
Anonymous said…
Oh that is lovely. Aren't you supposed to be in Winter? In answer to your question about the sheet music... After all that my friend didn't buy anything. Couldn't find the specific piece. Still I had a great time.
The D in D & T said…
i could never figure out how to move the dude around on monkey island. hmmm. sigh.

this photo is stunning. gorgeous.
stromsjo said…
Lovely winter morning. (How cold?) It must truly be something in the air!
sam said…
hehe, well devil chickens aside, it is a STUNNING shot!

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary