Skip to main content

Ich habe das Herz gefühlt, die große Seele, in deren Gegenwart ich mir schien mehr zu sein, als ich war, weil ich alles war, was ich sein konnte.


No, it's not a sad and desperate Roma child who has been cast adrift by the dialectic of history and crushed under the brutal weight of Ceausescu’s contemptible regime. No, it’s the newly shorn Henry after his shower last night!

I must admit that I could not choose between the above colour photograph – albeit deliberately ‘washed out’ (itself a canny trick to compensate for the low light) – and the grainy black and white below.

On first glance, I consider the colour shot the better image, but I do think that the black and white photo does allow the contrast of light and dark to reveal a little more detail around his face.

I dunno. What do you guys think?

Comments

Kitty said…
I like the upper one much much better.

The pea green, the red plaid, the watery darkish blue of his eyes...it's a great photo.

He looks like the character in a movie. Our hero is trapped in a corner and however will he escape? He is a common man, tricked by circumstance and deserving at another chance.
Julie said…
Whereas I much prefer the B&W because it emphasises the depth of Henry's eyes ...
Anonymous said…
Colour most definitely.
Bikkie Bear has entertained me a great deal - is Jen knitting in the background?
Anonymous said…
I think I prefer the colour one too, but can't put my finger on why.
Miles McClagan said…
Isn't that the cover of the first U2 album?
Sue said…
Both are beautiful..but I think I like the colour one a little better. I think it is the colour of H's eyes that make it so striking...they look like the colour of the ocean and his lips are so beautifully baby pink!!
And my...how big his eyes are...all the better to see you with!!!
USelaine said…
I'm going with the color version as well. The B&W seems more like the classic mug-shot of the desperate child, thrown into Protective Custody due to circumstances beyond his control. Can you help? Every quarter you slip into the collection can helps feed such refugees from abuse...
Anonymous said…
Normally b&w is better for portraits, I think, but this time I like the colour photo better. Somehow it underlines the eyes. the boy is all 'big eyes'.
Kris McCracken said…
Kitty, he does look the matinee idol, doesn’t he?

Julie, opinions! Wonderful things!

Tania, well it wasn’t me, and I don’t think that it was Ezra!
Kris McCracken said…
Jackie, je ne sai quois?

Miles, it isn’t a million miles away from it. Not as washed out though.

Sue, he is 100% prime beefcake, that is true.
Kris McCracken said…
USelaine, I think that if I let Amnesty use that second shot, their takings would skyrocket! It will cost them mind, we’re not a charity!

April, he does have big eyes like a cow. I am led to believe that girls like this in a chap...

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary