Skip to main content

Something unpleasant is coming when men are anxious to tell the truth.


This is the moon.

Have I mentioned how much I adore the zoom on my camera?

It's Theme Thursday you see, and after last week's limp effort, I have been thinking about how I might redeem myself.

Then I clicked on the topic and discover that it was BUTTON.

We've been hearing a lot about the moon in the past couple of weeks. Apparently some fellas went up there and played golf and what-not forty-odd years ago. The desire to get to the moon, however, was not simply about enhancing opportunities for Meg and Mog titles and skirting local planning by-laws in the construction of new and innovative golf courses.

No, all of your Sputniks, "One small steps" and freeze dried ice cream was about one thing, and one thing only:
MAD

Now, I don't mean mad in terms of "bloke breaks record for number of scorpions he can get up his bum", no I mean MAD as in Mutual assured destruction.

When I was a young man you see, there was a lot of talk about the type of man that had his finger on the BUTTON. First it was Reagan and Brezhnev. Then it was Reagan and Andropov. He dropped off pretty quickly, and we started worrying about Reagan and Chernenko (for about five minutes) before the chubby bloke with the map of Africa in his head got in and we moved in a whole other direction.

Of course, Australians weren't important enough to have a BUTTON, so we relied on fearing a bloke previously best known for playing make-believe with a chimpanzee and a string of decrepit and dying Ruskies for our fear. [Times were 'ard, I know.]

MAD was an ingenious little idea whereby you build more and more and deadlier and deadlier and bigger and bigger and sneakier and sneakier nuclear bombs (remember them?) in the interests of PEACE.

MAD, you say?

You see, the theory rests on the notion if each side of the fence has enough bombs to destroy the other side, that either side, if attacked, would be able to retaliate with equal or greater force. The only possible outcome would be an immediate escalation that would resulting in both combatants' - and every other bugger and his dog - total and assured destruction.

GENIUS!

Build more bombs, get less war. That's how she went.

Then, seemingly all of the sudden, we stopped thinking about fingers on Buttons and started talking more about Michael Jackson, David Beckham's new haircut and something to do with a hotel in Paris.

Sometimes I miss the Cold War.

Comments

Brian Miller said…
yes the topics that make the news these days seem alot less...pretty crazy theory of peace eh? just glad no one ever fell asleep on the button...
Kris McCracken said…
Brian, peace is no good for business!
Megan said…
"A strange game.

The only way to win is

not to play.

How about a nice game of chess?"
JeffScape said…
What's the saying? "To secure peace is to prepare for war."

Fun times.
Bobbie said…
I prefer peace. I think we should just have easy buttons and mute buttons :)
yamini said…
Its that kind of world where "a man bites a dog" makes for the breaking news of the day. So, can't express any further...
Anonymous said…
Aw gee Kris, you do know the "Cold War" is back on, right? I've had my eye on North Korea for a while. And Russia's Putin is up to no good, wot? Toss in a world-wide depression and voila!
As Suptorp said, the Cold War is back. By both North Korea and terrorist groups in the name of Allah to defend its territory from invasion unsolicited. Hopefully, the current heads of government of the world has a cool head and solve problems through dialogue.
Alan Burnett said…
The thing I love about Theme Thursday is all the different directions people come from. Love yours.
(sigh) Really, does the human condition ever change? Great post, interesting angle. -Jayne
Baino said…
You have an interesting mind and I am very envious of your zoom! At least with the cold war, we knew who the enemy was and how to deal with them. Idle threat vs idle threat. It's a whole new world now with an invisible enemy. Well except for Korean Kim. He's bold as brass!
Tess Kincaid said…
I know. I don't even watch the news anymore.
Sue said…
Jeez, Kris...what a bloody great picture! I love it! The picture of the moon reminds me of a Kool Mint, half sucked, that may have dropped onto the floor and it has picked up a bit of fluff!??!

I remember having the afternoon off at high school to go watch the moon landing on my friend's black and white TV. We were in awe of it all!
And I always remember quietly barracking for the Russians. I was disappointed they didn't make it to the moon first! Good old sputnik!
Ed & Jeanne said…
Rule one: Never put the windex next to the red button...
Wings1295 said…
Worst. Button. Ever.

:)
Wings1295 said…
Er, not your post, mind you, the actual "nuclear button".

;)
Betsy Brock said…
Well done...another button I hadn't thought of for today's theme. Hope nobody ever pushes this button!
Dakota Bear said…
It is amazing what is important in the news and what is overblown. there is too much that is overblown.

I like your take on the theme.
Dot-Com said…
The moon is one giant button!
Roddy said…
Henry and Ezra.....bellybutton!!
The Silver Fox said…
I'd love it if both sides pushed their "buttons" and NOTHING HAPPENED. Then, when all the proper people were questioned, they'd reply "Well, we didn't think you'd ever be stupid enough to actually DO it... so we spent all the missile & warhead money on booze and hookers!"
Hi! Kris,
What a very "clever" post!...I really liked the ending...hmmm...
buttons!
SilverFox, LOL!

Thanks, for sharing!
DeeDee ;-D
Jaime said…
great picture.
ACK! The news stinks anymore...NOT worth watching...I prefer ANYTHING else to it's drivel!
Dreamhaven said…
Hate the button that threatens humanity. Great post
Kris McCracken said…
Megan, chess with nukes!
Kris McCracken said…
JeffScape, and winning the peace is better than winning the war (see Treaty, Versailles)...
Kris McCracken said…
Bobbie, peace is good.
Kris McCracken said…
Yamini, it is shocking.
Kris McCracken said…
subtorp77, I kind of like Putin.
Kris McCracken said…
MurciaDailyPhoto, there’s nothing like a big superpower with a bit of land mass though...
Kris McCracken said…
Alan Burnett, straight from the hip!
Kris McCracken said…
J A Harnett-Hargrove, probably not. I’ve been reading about the Punic Wars, interesting stuff.
Kris McCracken said…
Baino, a broken mind?
Kris McCracken said…
willow, a wise move.
Kris McCracken said…
Sue, I used to quietly barrack for the East Germans back in the Lympics.
Kris McCracken said…
VE, that would spell DOOM.
Kris McCracken said…
Wings, really? I don’t like ones shaped like sunflowers.
Kris McCracken said…
Betsy, they’d be a damn fool!
Kris McCracken said…
Dakota Bear, unless it involves Mr Jackson’s corpse marrying Britney...
Kris McCracken said…
Dot-Com, a great button too.
Kris McCracken said…
Roddy, one innie and one outie.
Kris McCracken said…
The Silver Fox, not as far fetched as some might think!
Kris McCracken said…
Jaime, thank you. Thankyouverymuch.
Kris McCracken said…
Dreamhaven, I bet it wasn’t really red either.
Kris McCracken said…
I bet that I have missed one.

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut