Thursday, November 19, 2009

Everybody needs his memories. They keep the wolf of insignificance from the door.


I often bemoan young people today: their ridiculous haircuts, preposterous clothes, inane banter, poor social skills, inadequate manners, reprehensible idols, embrace of stupidity and lack of historical knowledge, as well as being younger than me disrespect of their elders and betters.

On one level though, they have not changed a dot since I ceased being young and joyous – I was about nine – their minds are as filthy and infantile as ever! Experience the witty banter of the North Hobart yoof as seen in this graffiti-ridden wall next to the swings in St. Andrews Park. There is something especially poignant about the lack of apostrophe in the flippant homophobic slur.

The lack of attention to correct grammar is matched only with the casual disregard to good manners!

It’s Theme Thursday you see, and alas I am already LATE for a meeting!

22 comments:

Tom said...

so long as you're not late for this post. Happy TT

Skip Simpson said...

I wondered how you were gonna sneak that in!!! Happy TT!

Kris said...

Tom, never!

Well, occasionally...

Kris said...

Skip, are you the Macho Man in disguise?

yamini said...

My feelings exactly.
You can even ask Priyanka!!!!

Hope you enjoyed the meeting.

Skip Simpson said...

Kris, I have to be "The Macho Man" until I wrestle "The Silver Fox/The Hulkster" for the WTF Title. It's in the rules.

Roddy said...

I almost wondered who you were referring to! Younger people? I then realised that you are now of my generation. OLD! Welcome.

Brian Miller said...

if only we remembered how we thought of our elders...nice wall chat...precursor to facebook? lol. happy tt!

Betsy said...

Come see my excuses for being late to work...sounds like you need some fresh ones! LOL!

Alan Burnett said...

Don't be too hard on them - there is some excellent punctuation on show. Great picture, great post.

Jackie said...

The walls of the ladies' toilets in the University of Glasgow library are covered in these conversations - it's like a giant problem page.

Wings said...

Interesting indeed. Now hurry up before you are really late!

JeffScape said...

Heh... first thing I noticed was bad grammar, as well.

I hate the your/you're mistake. Drives me nuts.

Kris said...

Yamini, it went better than I expected.

Kris said...

Skip, who does that make Ricky 'The Dragon' Steamboat?

Kris said...

Roddy, younger people suck.

Kris said...

Brian, older AND younger people suck!

Kris said...

Betsy, it always involves a bus with me...

Kris said...

Alan, the apostrophe is a dying art.

I read a report written the other day by a highly paid bureaucrat that contained 18 (!) split infinitives in just nine pages.

It almost curled my hair.

Kris said...

Jackie, the ones in the Department of Government back at UTas appeared to be a playground for anti-Semites!

The library toilets were far more eclectic (if overly focused on cod-philosophy).

Kris said...

Wings, made it on time!

Kris said...

JeffScape, I believe that capital punishment would solve the problem.