Skip to main content

Even a liar can be scared into telling the truth, same as an honest man can be tortured into telling a lie.


When we went along to the Christmas parade, Ezra appeared more interested in these two ducks mucking about in the Hobart Rivulet than he was in the various X-mas goths, roller derby girls and blokes in skirts. Indeed Ez tried to scale a fence to join the two Pacific Blacks - that's Anas superciliosa to any twitchers out there - for a dip.

I figure that as we are rapidly approaching the end of the year, I can knock of another Sunday Top Five very easily. This week: the My Favourite Five Books I've Read This Year! That's books I've read and enjoyed, not books released this year.
Death and the Penguin, Andrey Kurkov

The Spy Who Came In From The Cold
, John Le Carré

Things Fall Apart
, Chinua Achebe

If this is a Man
, Primo Levi

Gold, Dan Rhodes


Just missing the cut is a long list, the ones that stand out in the memory include: Billiards at Half-past Nine, Heinrich Böll, Border Crossing, Pat Barker, Union Street, Pat Barker, The Truce, Primo Levi, History of the Present, Timothy Garton Ash, Towards the End of the Morning, Michael Frayn and The Remains of the Day, Kazuo Ishiguro.

Comments

Tash said…
I see that Ez is as smart as he looks. BTW love the picture.

I read most if not all of Primo L. and think I still like Periodic Table the best. Didn't read the other ones on your top 5 but I'll add them to my list.
Tash said…
PS - I find book recommendations make great Xmas persents. Thx.
Roddy said…
When do you find time for life if you are forever reading?
I don't have time for the paper!
You, however, always were a prolific reader.
smudgeon said…
I'd definitely agree with the first two - top of my list this year as well.

I haven't heard of/read the rest, though...
Kris McCracken said…
Tash (x2), I found the ducks interesting too. Primo is fantastic. The If this is a man, The Truce double is an excellent double. The first is a strong account of his capture and deportation to Auschwitz, his time there than the liberation. The second is his account drifting through Eastern Europe trying to get back to Italy after the war's end.

You can imagine how powerful that might be!
Kris McCracken said…
[On that first comment], that's for everyone else, of course!

The Periodic Table is one I read some time ago. I'm am going to add it to my library loan list right now!
Kris McCracken said…
Roddy, I read on the bus too and from work, on the dunny (when I can), and during my lunch break at work. Occasionally I read during the evening if I'm not too tired.

I also read mountains upon mountains of picture books to vaious children.
Kris McCracken said…
Me, all on this list a great reads. Differing styles of course. Gold was a breeze to read, but very very funny. Billiards at Half Past Night was a real effort, but very rewarding once the elements clicked with me.

The Uwe Johnson one I just finished was really difficult. He was getting really experimental with the narrative voices and I am not sure work plus toddlers plus an intense toothache was conducive to the read.

The Boll one I'm reading right now [Adam] is a ripper though!

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary