Skip to main content

The most thought-provoking thing in our thought-provoking time is that we are still not thinking.


A view from the toilet. Mayfair Plaza, Sandy Bay. November 2011.

Theme Thursday already, and today's post comes from INSIDE the toilet here in the complex where I toil away. There are a few options if you are in need of a lavatory during business hours, but I prefer this dunny.

For one, it is close by. A quick nip through the car park, and you're in the privvy!

Secondly, how many times can you say that you've enjoyed the magnificent (and not at all repetitive) artistic styling of Stark (Sandy Bay's answer to Banksy) while sitting on the can?

Certainly, other johns might not be so decorated with the detritus of urban decay, but I find those loos, khazis and latrines far too cramped for my style. Honestly, who wants to go about one’s business like one of those calves penned up in a veal factory farming enterprise?

Not this little black duck!

If I have to use a bathroom INSIDE, I need space. I need to be able to stretch my legs out lift my arms up and roar like a wild beast.

Or something.

Yes, a decent WC really needs to be generous with its space. Really, must we be confined and crowded and rushed and hushed while we absolve ourselves of our sins? (I think I’ve invented a new euphemism there.)

No, I don’t want to be stuck in a netty like a head in a submarine!

Give me land, lots of land under starry skies above. Don’t fence me in…

Comments

Roddy said…
You don't have a toilet in your office??
The cutbacks are becoming personal.
Arnab Majumdar said…
The most interesting ideas and observations seems to come our way while we're sitting on the loo, don't they? :D

Cheers...
Brian Miller said…
i hear you man...gimme some space when it s time to hit the head...nice expansion too on all the names of the bathroom...
Mrsupole said…
I am not sure why but I now have that song "Taking care of business..." playing and playing in my head.

And since we are on the bathroom subjects, how does one use a bade without falling into the dang thing. They just look so uncomfortable even though they serve a good purpose, I think.

Great take on inside and glad you have a place to spread out.

Thanks for playing this weeks TT again, can't wait to see what you do next week.

God bless.
Laurie Kolp said…
The thinking pot(ty)... I like it!
Indeed, Stark is no one-trick-pony!
Happy TT. -J
Kris McCracken said…
Thanks all. Been a bloody busy week this week.
Anonymous said…
i know what you mean about stretching your legs. that's why i like to go into the handicapped stall. but, i was in a wheelchair for a month, and then i had to use it, so if you do use it, get out fast, cuz the people in a wheelchair don't have a choice if they are in a rush

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary