Skip to main content

She was good at playing abstract confusion in the same way that a midget is good at being short.


The gang is all here! Argyle Street, Hobart. February 2012.

Maybe I posted this on Theme Thursday to get a REACTION. My face is so rarely seen on this here blog that it usually causes a flurry of judgements, whispers and swoons belly-laughs.

Yet that little internal conversation set me thinking (understandably) about the third of Newton's laws of motion. You know, the one about how forces occur in pairs. Actio et reactio. "Every action is accompanied by a REACTION of equal magnitude but opposite direction."

So then I wanted to write it down. First, I thought that it looks like this:
Action → REACTION


But then I thought that it might be better expressed like this:
Action ↔ REACTION


That is not right though. Therefore, I thought that it must be.
Action → REACTION ↔ REACTION


However, even that does not seem right. Ultimately, I have settled for:
Action → REACTION ↔ REACTION ↔ REACTION ↔ REACTION ↔ REACTION ↔ REACTION [repeat to infinity]


But I'm still not certain. Are there any physicists out there you can help a brother out?

Comments

smudgeon said…
For some reason, I imagine it's a moebius strip of action - rather than going to the step of including a reaction. Not that I'm arguing with Newton, of course - dude knows his shit, knowmasayin'?
Mrsupole said…
I am with you about the fact that there had to be a first action and then after that everything else was a reaction to a previous reaction. The real question is what was the first action and in which galaxy it first occurred. And is there a first galaxy somewhere so far out there that we humans have no clue that it exists? Strange how we both came to the same conclusion. I guess it is true that great minds do think alike.

And are you sure that is you? I'm just saying because if you took the picture, which does not seem like a reflection then who is the dude in the pic? Just kidding, well I think so.

God bless.
JANU said…
That's a complicated analysis of Reaction...liked the picture.
Steve Isaak said…
Interesting, chess-wendy piece made my head hurt, which means it was (probably) clever.

Kudos to you for being able to write/soar at such heights. =)
Wow, very thought provoking. I'm no physicist, but your argument seems to make sense. Loved the pic too!
Roddy said…
Smile! You look kike Laurie Oakes.
Roddy said…
Sorry! That is LIKE, Laurie Oakes.
Janice said…
I need to ponder this. Let me put on my thinking cap...
Tom said…
i think it may be a chicken or the egg sort of thing. nice to see you, said by the guy who's rarely more than a shadow
Arian Tejano said…
A very innovative piece. I like this. A great deal to do with our writing life.
Anonymous said…
I think I'm most impressed by the photo and your ability to get your family on board with your self portrait.

My reaction is: great shot! ;)
Tash said…
My reaction is that I like seeing the whole family even with a frowny face dad.
Carola said…
I can't help. That is to much theory for me. But here are my impressions. Just a reaction following an action.

First: Nice to see you all four together. A great shot!
I was a bit surprised of your pants. You are so tall, aren't you? Henry does look tall too.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary