Skip to main content

Victory Machine

New South Wales require another 568 runs with 10 wickets remaining. In one day.

I don't think that Tassie can lose from here. With Lambert promoted to, NSW may have an early slog and chase hard. The risk for them (obviously) is losing a few wickets. If this happens Tassie could easily roll their soft middle order. If they do, NSW will officially become our bitch.

Either way, I’m confident that Tasmania will win the Shield for the first time ever. Whatever, worst case scenario and they lose, I’ll just stress that the final is a load of rubbish and Tassie finished on top, and that was enough to win the shield for 75 years so everyone else can get fucked and we’re still the champions. And looking closer at the side only makes me happier.

Michael Di Venuto; Tim Paine; George Bailey; Sean Clingeleffer; Luke Butterworth; Adam Griffith; and Ben Hilfenhaus are all Tasmanians born and bred.

Travis Birt and Damien Wright are from elsewhere, but have only played first class cricket in Australia for the Tigers. Michael Dighton was a highly regard junior in WA, got 11 games for WA, but really has only had a decent run in the Apple Isle. Similar is Dan Marsh, who had 4 First Class games for SA, but has really hit his straps as a captain and batsman in Tasmania. I don't think the rest of the country (and maybe many Tasmanians) really recognise how well he has done here. 5000 runs at nearly 40 for Tassie is not to be sniffed at, given the seamer’s wickets of the 2001–5 period. Chuck in 127 wickets (also at around 40), and you’re looking at a solid set of figures.

Given that the experience of ‘fly-in’ players amounts to just 15 games from 2 players, this is a long way from the foreign legion of other state's second XI players that we've had in the past, and proves the wisdom of the selection panel's persistence with young and talented local players. This was despite some dreadful loses a couple of years back. Honestly, the state should be really, really proud of this team and I hope that they get the recognition that they deserve.

I’m particularly happy with the performance of Clingeleffer. I reckon that he’s the best keeper in Australia, and is a really good contributor with the bat. Yeah, he’s a bit of a nudger in the age of Gilchrist, but an average of 27 (and a 44 and 107 in a Shield final!) demonstrates that he’s no mug and well worth his spot. I hope the selectors get the message and don’t put pressure on Tim Pain and ruin him Wayne Phillips-style.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut