Skip to main content

ANZAC Day

ANZAC Day is a frustrating time of year for me, these days. I want to know, exactly when did people stop stressing the importance of remembering the futility of war?

All I hear these days is giving thanks to sacrifice, and valuing the freedoms we hold. Fair thoughts, no doubt, but it seems insulting to me that we've forgotten the importance of reminding ourselves of the complete and utter waste and tragedy of war. I could be wrong, but my memory tells me that was present in past ANZAC and Remembrance Days. One didn’t have to look far to find veterans more than happy to emphasise this.

My own grandfather is a good example. He served with some distinction (unspoken, of course, until after his death) in WWII, and his own father was killed on the Western Front before he was even born. I’d like to think that such a man might have some perspective on the costs of war. He would curse down very quickly any self congratulatory tone on either ANZAC Day or Remembrance Day. It was a day of bitterness to some degree, and this was always encapsulated by the prominence of the notion of the ‘futility of war’.

Surely this should be even more prescient on ANZAC Day. Really, what event in Australia's history demonstrates more aptly the bloody-minded futility and unreserved waste of war than the miserable campaign in the Dardanelles?

Alas, not, it seems. The past ten years have seen ANZAC Day elevated to Australia’s national day. TV stations compete with images of ‘live’ services, stock footage of WWI. Local councils compete with 'my dawn service is bigger than your dawn service', and people almost seem to be competing to see who values the ‘diggers’, the ‘flag’ and ‘the values that they died for’ the most. We hear much talk about ‘brave sacrifice’ and the victory of moral and cultural good over the evils of the world.

Forgive me for thinking that what blokes like my grandfather meant was that such days were about realising that war is a stupid, vain exercise and not worth the sacrifice. Forgive me for thinking that such days were once about denouncing the notion of war as an appropriate means to resolve dispute. It was about reminding us what war is really like, and what the costs actually are.

It brings to mind a quote from British wartime PM David Lloyd George, who at the height of the horrors of the Western Front allegedly conceded a newspaper editor that:

If people really knew [the truth], the war would be stopped tomorrow. But of course they don’t know, and can’t know.


That’s what ANZAC Day is supposed to be about in my eyes. Making sure that we remember what war is truly like. Remembering the sacrifice, absolutely. But also about remembering the true costs of war, reminding ourselves about the reality of war, and really and truthfully thinking about whether or not such costs are worth it.

I was looking for something from a soldier to emphasise this, and I can’t go past this extract from 1918 in a diary kept by private Roy Denning, 213, 1st Field Company Engineers. Denning landed on Gallipoli on 25 April 1915 and served there until he received a gunshot wound in the back on 16 June. He was evacuated to Malta, but after his recovery went on to fight on the Western Front until the end of the war. This is a man who should know something about the futility of war:

Digging trenches through forest. God give me back the day joined this blood sucking unit who are never satisfied.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut