Skip to main content

Old Ads That I Like #10

This is what I believe they call “High Concept” advertising. Very L.A. Here’s how I see the pitch going down: [Warning, this may contain words that offend.]

“there’s this fucken’ monkey right, really freaky lookin’ thing. He sorta looks like these old chinamen that hang about in those opium dens right? And this monkey is probably stoned, off his fucken’ head or something you know man, real far gone kinda deal. Anyway, this monkey's a bit ropey looking, kinda wrong-side-of-the-tracks. He’s on a downer, seen better days and he knows it. He’s probably stolen the bike and on the lam. Yeah, he’s on the run. That’s why he’s goin’ so fast you see. He’s tearin’ down the mountain out the middle of nowhere off his fucken’ head, not a fucken’ care if he lives or dies.

And get this, man (and this is the killer, man), he’s got this parrot with him. Who knows where he’s got it from, but he’s got this god damned parrot! And this parrot don’t look too happy bein’ there right? She’s old, maybe she’s got mange or somthin’ like that. This is the sort of parrot that’s been around a bit ya see, she’s been around the block a few times see? Maybe she’s been perched up on some sailor’s shoulder, been at sea, somehow she’s ended up stuck in some whore’s parlour, watching the filth and the corruption traipse right on through. And somehow she’s with this monkey right? Right? And we’re not sure if she’s really WITH the monkey, or if he’s just ‘with’ the monkey. Can you see it man? Can you see it? Maybe this monkey makes this parrot do stuff. Maybe this parrot just does it. Who fucken’ knows. THAT’S the point, ya see.

And the tagline man, the tagline’s where we’ll really get ‘em. Get this, “We’re having a heavenly time”! Did you catch that man? “We’re having a heavenly time”! This fucken’ wild, fucken’ crazy monkey on a one way journey to hell and some fucken scabby old whore’s parrot and they’re havin’ a “heavenly time”! Once this hits the streets those fucken’ bikes of yours will be flyin’ off the shelves, mark my fucken’ words, I know what I’m talkin’ about, I’ve been in this business a long time.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary