Skip to main content

Elections in Zimbabwe


You may have heard that there has been an election going on in Zimbabwe. In what will be a test for democracy in southern Africa, the results may well decide the fate of liberal democracy in much of the under-developed world. The BBC has an interesting pictorial essay on the election, and it fits nicely with their streaming of 'on the ground' contributions and observations that have been solicited from all over the country. This is an excellent insight for those of us lucky enough to live in stable countries, and should remind us to be very thankful for our comparatively 'dull' electoral systems. The Times over the weekend featured an excellent article that spoke of the "the electricity of hope" that can be felt in the electoral processes of developing countries.

In a result that has – to be frank – stunned me, independent monitoring groups have said that returns posted at about two-thirds of polling stations have given Tsvangirai 55% of the vote to Mugabe's 36%. A third presidential candidate, Simba Makoni received about 9% of the vote. Monitors said there is now no way for Mugabe to legitimately win the election. Mark Malloch-Brown of the British foreign office said that it was "quite likely" that Mugabe had lost despite "massive pre-election day cheating".

Now it is important to remember that – under Mugabe – inflation runs at 100,000%, and in what should be a peaceful and prospering nation sees people scrabbling around for food and fuel. My own feelings about this election were bleak, as all of the signs were that Mugabe has ensured that he and his party would win, and that the status quo would prevail. Leaked documents showed that nine million ballot papers had been ordered for the 5.9 million people registered to vote, and that vote rigging had begun prior to the election proper. Moreover, police have been allowed a 'supervisory role' inside polling stations rather than outside, a move designed to intimidate voters given the history of state violence towards anyone who opposes the government.

Unsurprisingly, Mugabe appears to be attempting to cling to power, despite what appears to be a (remarkably) clear defeat. The government is refusing to allow the electoral commission to release official results and has, true to form, offered unsubtle threats to the main opposition party. In a move that would make George Orwell blush with its brazenness, Mugabe's spokesman, George Charamba has warned Movement for Democratic Change candidate Morgan Tsvangirai not to claim victory and declare himself president. For Charamba and Mugabe, such a move "is called a coup d'etat and we all know how coups are handled". The Economist recorded immediately prior to the election that "the heads of the army, police and the prison service have all flatly stated that they would not let Mr Mugabe be beaten", and speculated that in the event of a loss, he would call a state of emergency or somehow have the challenger disbarred.

I just hope that this goes well, and justice and common sense prevails. If somehow Mugabe holds on, I wouldn't be surprised to see a repeat of the violent aftermath of the Kenyan elections in December. If that does happen, the African Union (AU) simply must be ready to quickly offer mediation and a transitional government. Otherwise Africa is headed for more of the same. Andebrhan Giorgis, of the International Crisis Group think-tank, has warned: "If the region's leaders were again to recognise an illegitimate government, Zimbabwe's dramatic economic disintegration would continue, and the inevitable next round of the struggle over Mugabe's succession could easily provoke bloodshed."

I've got my fingers crossed on this one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary