Skip to main content

The Great Baby #2 Naming Challenge

My wife and I have got another baby on the way (19 weeks on Thursday). Now last time, we both agreed within a reasonable period that Henry was a good name, and that it worked well with the last name, and also with taking my wife's surname as his middle name. Thus, our first born is Henry Fitzgerald McCracken. We're both pretty happy with that name, and everyone agrees he's a pretty good little bloke. Here he is looking slightly worried about the prospect of a challenger on the horizon.


Here is the anxious little bloke

So, my issue is that we've got to find a name the equal to Henry. I think that the bar is high, so the pressure is on. As with last time, we've gone our separate ways and compiled our own lists, with the intention of pruning them down and then merging them for the final master list. We can then 'test' the names to see how they go. I myself have already started testing names on dear little Henry (male and female), which - to be frank - is beginning to confuse him. So I've turned to the blog. Given what we have to work with, which of my names might be the best fit? I am open to persuasion, and even new ideas, but as I stated above, the intention is to prune down the list with time to spare before the baby arrives.

So, for this reason I have attached my (long) shortlist. Here they are, in alphabetical order.



Albert

Adelaide

Alfred

Alice

Andreas

Anja

Andrei

Anke

Armand

Astrid

Arno

Audrey

Arnold

Ava

Arthur

Berta

Arturo

Celeste

Bruno

Clara

Claus

Clementine

Conrad

Else

Cyrus

Esther

Dieter

Grace

Ezra

Gretchen

Ferdinand

Heidi

Floyd

Henrietta

Frederick

Ingrid

Friedrich

Iris

Garfield

Ivy

Ike

Leila

Isaak

Lotte

Jurgen

Madeline

Karl

Magdalene

Klaus

Margarete

Lars

Niamh

Ludwig

Olga

Luigi

Olive

Norman

Roisin

Otto

Rosa

Richmond

Rose

Roscoe

Sabine

Stanley

Saskia

Sylvester

Sinead

Ulysses

Siobhan

Walter

Stella

Winston

Ursula

Comments

jen said…
To be brutally honest I would veto most of your boys names (with the exception of Ezra, Ike, Isaak and Otto. Stanley, Albert and Roscoe might just sneak in).

Girls name fare better with a few that are on my list too. I could come at Adelaide, Anja, Astrid, Audrey, Ava, Celeste, Clara, Clementine, Iris, Ivy, Leila, Lotte, Niamh, Olive, Rosa, Saskia, Sinead, Stella and at a pinch Ursula.

I wonder if Clementine McCracken has too many 'c's and 'm's?
Hard job to choose a name that will be - in any case - contested by the owner several years after.
Hard job too for your smart Henri to cope with a younger child.
edwin s said…
henry is quite the adorable little boy.

Browsing down your list, and keep your last name in mind, I'm feeling Conrad McCracken for a boy and Siobhan McCracken. I'll leave the middle name to the both of you. Have you asked Henry what he thinks?

Thank you so much for your comment on KLDP. I do hope Malaysia finds a balance that suits everyone.
Anonymous said…
Almost any of those names would work for me. Just don't name him if it is a him, after any famous person, as it is a life time burden to bear. You have to have lived it to know what I mean.

My middle name is Wesley and that was after my grandfather.

Thanks for your visit to my blog today.
Unknown said…
What about Philip? :-)
hehe....

It would be tough choosing a name. Maybe the older brother can help!
Jim Klenke said…
Its not on your list, but I think James Alexander is a great first and middle name.
It's very hard to narrow down the list, though in my opinion, I'd keep the first name to two syllables since the last name has three, it just makes it flow better I think.
Sue said…
Great names...t'is a hard job naming a young'un! Be careful about giving Henry too much veto...I did it with Cody...hence Zac is....Zac!
I like most of the girl names...I think girls have better names all round. Clementine was my fave but looks overly long when you see it with the surname...but then again my first name is long too and it hasn't hurt me!
I like the boy ones that Jen likes...maybe Roscoe is one that stands out. Floyd too...but that may be coz I love Pink Floyd!??? Cody mentioned he likes the name Wolfgang...nice if you like Mozart...or Van Halen.
Good luck...
Naming our little ones can be such a challenge. There's so many choices. Here are two ideas.

Girl:
Anja Grace McCracken
Boy:
Ezra Lars McCracken

I'm sure you and your wife will think of the perfect name. You did a fine job with Henry. He has such handsome, blue eyes.

Gwyn
Think how tricky it was for Mrs Ump and myself, being of two different cultures we had to try and hit down the middle. Chose a one syllable name for the first one and made up our own for the second.
Kris McCracken said…
Ump, it must be really hard balancing that conundrum!
Anonymous said…
FLOYD?????!
Stella is great but guessing Stella Fitgerald is not really a good idea...
Kris McCracken said…
Why yes Anonymous (if that is your real name), Floyd is on the list. It is a fine name.

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut