Skip to main content

The Lindsey Buckingham Paradox

I stumbled up this concept on the blog Not Too Crazy, and think that the concept is a very sound one, even if I can't agree with every example offered up (Journey, Styx or Chicago are a little light on the 'genius' for mine)!

Broadly speaking, ‘the Lindsey Buckingham Paradox’ is what happens when clearly brilliant musicians decide that they are better off away from their bandmates and venture out into solo "careers", only to somehow never again grasp their own genius in the way demonstrated by earlier efforts.

I can think of a few examples of my own, and would differ on my choices. For example, she includes Paul McCartney. If I were to list a Beatle, it would be John Lennon. Lennon’s solo work from ’69 until ’71 was pretty good, but the rest (Mind Games the single aside), well, meh. I mean really, Some Time in New York City? Try listening to that not off your nut. Give me any of the Wings albums ahead of that. I wouldn’t include Lennon though, as there are enough gems on Imagine, Rock and Roll and Double Fantasy to see his genius at work. Similarly, although McCartney’s work post-1980 was been uneven (to be kind), but seriously, go back and listen to London Town from 1978, some fantastic stuff on that.

Some of the better ones that may represent the Paradox (aside from Lindsey himself) I’ve listed below:

Frank Black: love the Pixies stuff, yet find his solo work an abomination.

Bob Mould: see Frank Black.

Roger Waters: you could probably include Dave Gilmour as well, as the Pink Floyd stuff just shits over anything else they’ve ever done.

Pete Townsend: there’s no point even going with Roger Daltry, as Pete was the genius of The Who. His solo stuff is god awful if you ask me.

Paul Weller: I may cop some flak for this, but give me The Jam (or even The Style Council) before any of his later work.

Roger McGuinn: fantastic with The Byrds, can’t say that I’d bother with the rest.

Johnny Marr
: love The Smiths, but he just muddles through sans Morrissey।

Mick Jagger: have you heard his solo stuff? Urghhh… I don’t know if he counts though, because he knows enough to keep going back to Keef and the lads.

I’m sure that there are many many others. Feel free to disagree (although state your reasons, I’ll need convincing), or add any to the list!

Comments

Any of the Led Zep boys being away from _all_ the others; the Page/Plant stuff is lame parody of true Zep. The two chicks who've sung with the Beautiful south (Jaquiline Abbot and Briony someone), Paul Simon, I could go on ...

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut