Tuesday, March 25, 2008

(My) Photo of the day


It has been a wet and humid day this morning, with not great light for photographs (especially of the snap off while walking past variety). I've decided to go with a shot of the Colonial Mutual Life Building in Hobart. I think that it's an impressive looking building, and I've gone with a shot from the other side of Macquarie Street, from Franklin Square.

The heritage listing describes the building as an excellent example of "Inter War Stripped Classical C.1915–40". This is a building with eclectic influences, incorporating Art Deco elements which were fairly typical in Stripped Classical buildings in combination with English Picturesque elements. I happen to think that is an attractive edifice, and thought that I would share it with people.

4 comments:

Kate said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Yes, the architecture of this building is impressive!

Kris McCracken said...

It's one of my favourites in Hobart, I'd always assumed that it was a touch older than it turned out to be. It's amazing what you find out when you look!

Megan said...

I agree, very attractive building. It'd be sweet on a foggy day, lit up by the nearby lights.

Kris McCracken said...

There will be fog before to long, we're having a Winter sort of day here today.