Skip to main content

Should I be laughing at this?

Inspired by my post yesterday by what we should and shouldn't laugh about – or at least what we should feel guilty about laughing about – I made a comment on another site that prompted some more thought on the topic.

Now I have to preface this with a statement about my sense of humour. I broadly accept the whole, "a joke is just a joke, don't get too precious about stuff" line. Indeed, I've told many an unsavoury joke and used it in defence of myself plenty of times. Also, I can't stand ultra sensitive types. These people generally bore me and appear to float about looking for something, anything, to get offended by, and thus giving themselves the opportunity to sermonise about their own moral superiority.

Yet I couldn't help myself making such a comment at another website yesterday, when reading yet another angry little rant on how dreadful Hillary Clinton would be as President, and spotting an ad for a t-shirt in the side bar that the site itself appeared to be selling. Here is a pic of the t-shirt in question:


And my comment read: "Nice sexist t-shirt there. How very progressive!"

Now, I copped a bit of flack by people who thought that I was being too sensitive, and needed to lighten up as it was "just a joke", albeit one in which they were making money out of. But the comment that I made was what I thought at the time, and that's what I still think.

Some context though. The page itself seems broadly 'progressive' - that is - if you extend the notion of 'progressive' to include simplistic Bush-hating, and general anti-Iraq War stuff. Yet, the anti-Clinton diatribe was of a type that I have read a bit of lately: from the (broad) 'left', defensive, angry, and full of lazy assumptions about her potential rooted in ideas about gender.

Now, to be totally honest with you, despite the whole Political Science degree, and a research background that had a particular focus on Bill Clinton's presidency, I frankly don't care that much about the pre-selection process of US elections (although you can't get away from it anywhere). I've already indicated that I'm on the Wiggum-Wagon, so I don't have any stake in it apart from that.

Now, I've already made a snide little remark on the whole Clinton/sexism thing and how the cult of Obama disturbs me. And maybe this is where it rubs against the grain for me. Racism is stupid; I can't put it any plainer than that. It doesn't make any sense to me to paint an entire race with the same brush. Yet so is sexism, for exactly the same reason. So maybe the problem that I have is that the Obama crowd seem to get getting upset at even the most minor hint of race-baiting, but seem totally flippant about what is pretty clear and offensive sexism (which the above t-shirt appears to be).

To look at it from another angle, look at the stir over the now-infamous Don Imus comments, how is that t-shirt all that different from what he said? If Clinton had a record of sexual promiscuity, maybe it wouldn't jar with me, but she doesn't.

So perhaps it's the double standard/hypocrisy that gets to me, rather than the sexism per sae. I can't say that I would be offended in this way without the extraneous stuff around the Clinton/Obama battle. I guess that it irritates even more so when it occurs in supposed 'progressive' forums.

What do people think?

Comments

The D in D & T said…
I completely agree with you. That t-shirt is totally sexist. I also found your comments on Obama in one of your previous posts particularly interesting. What do the promises mean? I think you make a very valid point - what does the Obama camp's HOPE actually look like and how is it going to be measured. I hadnt thought about it like that before I read your post. That being said, I can't really say that I support Hillary either.
Kris McCracken said…
The thing that worries me about Obama is the real lack of detail. I've seen his proposed health care policy, and it looks terrible. It won't make any difference at all. The rest is really meaningless guff. With Clinton - love or loathe her - you can have a fair idea on where she'll go based on prior actions. Obama is an unknown, and to be totally honest, I've no reason to see why an upper middle class career corporate lawyer will offer anything too different from any other candidate, whatever his (deliberate emphasis) race might be.
Anonymous said…
Very true. I'm very tired of the sexism towards Clinton and (over here) Julia Gillard.

I have to admit that both Democratic camps seem to be finding racism or sexism baiting comments from the other candidate, yet ignoring everything John McCain says.
Kris McCracken said…
It's a very odd system where all of the pre-selection is done in the open. Parties spend a year at each other's throats doing the work of their opposition.

We've seen how it isn't that helpful in Australia with the ongoing leadership tensions in the ALP with Beazley's crowd destabilising Crean, then Latham, then Beazley gets the job, but resentments over his past activities saw disunity and eventually it takes everyone pulling their heads in presenting a broad face under Rudd to get in power.

Politics being politics though, I'd wager that we'll see (and are already seeing) the same thing with the Libs. Watch as Turnbull, Abbott, Hockey and whoever else do to Nelson what happened to Crean.

It’s one of the key reasons that I’m not keen at all on an elected President in Australia, as there doesn’t appear to be any way to avoid this sort of thing.

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut