Skip to main content

Good ol' Charlie Brown, or On the nature of modern life

I am going to be totally honest with you and admit that I think that Charles Schulz, creator of Peanuts, should be regarded every bit as highly as any other creative genius that you could name.

Forget the never-ending line of Snoopy merchandise for a moment (and I like Snoopy, don't get me wrong). But go back and read the comic strips, especially the firts twenty years, and in it you will find that Peanuts is right up there with Fyodor Dostoevsky in exploring the bleakness of the human condition. Without doubt, the very first strip set the tone that was to follow (as usual, click to enlarge):


Although Schulz softened somewhat in the latter period of Peanuts, certain elements remained constant. The most obvious of these lay in the fortunes of Good ol' Charlie Brown. Again, of all literary characters, Charlie Brown may well be my favourite. Think Yossarian, only through a Russian existentialist lens.

Perhaps the one constant in Charlie Brown's life is pain. His most appealing characteristics are either a self-defeating stubbornness, or determined persistence to try his best even through he knows that he will never triumph. Thus, he will never win a game, but continues playing baseball (actually, that's not quite true, as they did win a game once, but were stripped after Rerun, Lucy and Linus's little brother, was proven to have bet on the result). Similarly, he can never fly that kite, but he is always out there trying.

The starkest example of this futility can be found in the ongoing battle with Lucy around kicking the football. Every football season, Lucy promises to hold a football for Charlie Brown to kick, and every year she pulls it away as he follows through. Generally, the result was Charlie flying through the air and landing painfully on his back. The strip that I have chosen to focus on today is one of my all time favourites, and features Lucy, the football and Shulz's tendency to drift into biblical reference.


Peanuts being Peanuts though, we are talking Old Testament fatalism rather than New Testament hope. Remember, Charlie Brown's greatest strength is that he is a positive fellow. He expects that Lucy will pull the ball away - as she always does - but he always attempts to convince himself that for whatever reason, this one time will be the time that Lucy choses to hold the ball and allow him to make the kick.

Yet in this strip, as the look on his face illustrates clearly, he is under no illusion about the ultimate futility of his task. Yet still he does it. Like Isaiah, he can rage against it all he wants, but the outcome is already decided. Lucy, in a manner that only she can deliver, evokes a vision of blight and destruction (as the Old Testament does so very, very well). This is Peanuts in the moment. Happy days it is not.

But these are the moments where I truly love Charlie Brown. Aware of the futility, but driven nonetheless by endless determination and hope, he is the every-man that the world needs to know is out there.

Comments

There was a superb obituary of Schulz in the Times shortly after he died, which observed that the real reason behind the truth of Peanuts was that Schultz _was_ Charlie Brown - he was confused as a child, did have unrequited love for a readhead girl, was hen pecked by an older girl and was rubbish at baseball.

There's a Snoopy quote for virtually every occasion. Recently my parents, animal and trivia lovers that they are, sent me an article about how intelligent pigs are.

Once Lucy was patronising Snoopy about pigs being the most intelligent domestic animals, blah blah ad nauseam, to which Snoopy laconically riposted: "If they're so smart, then why are they pigs?"

Touche.
Bergson said…
i love Chalie brown
Do you mean there are people who don't like Charlie Brown? Have to agree with you. The comic strip was a work of art. Full of pathos and irony and the tv version too was ahead of it's time. Snoopy dreams? Linus's comfort blanket? Fraiser to Scrubs, you can see the influence.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary