Skip to main content

Just think, right now as you read this, some guy somewhere is gettin' ready to hang himself



The title is a continuation of the George Carlin tribute. As is today's photograph. I can think of nothing more that he would like than a picture of two rubbish bins (that's correct, the old brain is struggling today).

So what I will do is post one last George Carlin quote for the day. This one is about 'irony'. Like George, I am continually frustrated by the misuse of the word itself. Not a day goes by when somebody fails to say to me "how ironic" and I think about directing them to Carlin's rant from Brain Droppings:

Irony deals with opposites; it has nothing to do with coincidence. If two baseball players from the same hometown, on different teams, receive the same uniform number, it is not ironic. It is a coincidence. If Barry Bonds attains lifetime statistics identical to his father's, it will not be ironic. It will be a coincidence. Irony is "a state of affairs that is the reverse of what was to be expected; a result opposite to and in mockery of the appropriate result." For instance: a diabetic, on his way to buy insulin, is killed by a runaway truck. He is the victim of an accident. If the truck was delivering sugar, he is the victim of an oddly poetic coincidence. But if the truck was delivering insulin, ah! Then he is the victim of an irony. If a Kurd, after surviving bloody battle with Saddam Hussein's army and a long, difficult escape through the mountains, is crushed and killed by a parachute drop of humanitarian aid, that, my friend, is irony writ large. Darryl Stingley, the pro football player, was paralyzed after a brutal hit by Jack Tatum. Now Darryl Stingley's son plays football, and if the son should become paralyzed while playing, it will not be ironic. It will be coincidental. If Darryl Stingley's son paralyzes someone else, that will be closer to ironic. If he paralyzes Jack Tatum's son, that will be precisely ironic.

Comments

freefalling said…
Yes.
"Ironic", used incorrectly drives me crazy.
But it is a bit of a tricky concept to get your head around, if you are of the thicker variety.
Personally, I would love to be clever enough to use irony, unfortunately I wasn't blessed with enough brain cells.
I do however recognize when it is used incorrectly.


Don't get me started on the use of "literally".


Also, on Big Brother last night (SHUT UP!) - Cherry (that's a bloke - ?) nominated a housemate in a "statistical" move - an interesting combination of strategic and tactical.
Priyanka Khot said…
Lolz... and i thought i was the only one suffering from the intolerance of wrong usage of words... part of me is glad to know its a global phenomenon and the other one miserable at the thought that no part of the world is safe enough to escape this gruesome murder of the language. Nice post.

In fact in India people modify English words and liberally incorporate them into Hindi language. One such word that drives me nuts is "proudy"
!!!!
Kris McCracken said…
I saw on the footy a few weeks back where the commentator said "he's literally taken his head off there. “My God”, I thought, "that's a reportable offence..."

Priyanka, I like the sound of "proudy". In what context do people use it? I am thinking maybe, "Look at that fellow over there, all proudy and conceited".

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut